Skip to main content

TIFU by having my flirting radar so broken that I accidentally ghosted a guy, and now my daily routine is agony..

The Setup:
A couple months ago, I had to travel across the country alone with my 11-year-old son for complex medical treatments. The two of us had to stay at the hospital for a month, just the two of us. Living at the hospital for so long can be soul-crushing, and the only respite I found was by going to a local Indian food stand, which I chose because it’s the only food nearby that accommodates my specific dietary preferences.
Every time I went, there was a guy there who prepared my order. Each day, he and I would chat in a friendly way about everything going on in our lives, and I’d tell him all about my son and all the difficulties we were going through. I literally went to this food stand every day for a month and built a good friendship with this man, as I saw him every day and we always chatted for a few minutes while he prepared my food.
Chatting with him was also my ONLY non-medical adult interaction during the day, and I’m sure I was STARVED for that interaction. In hindsight, I might have also come across as incredibly eager to see and chat with him, just so I could have someone to talk to in order to kill the monotony of hospital living.

The "Fuck Up":
The day my son was discharged from the hospital, I went there one last time to get my last meal before I left for a plane home. When I arrived, my friend was there and I introduced him to my son. He was so kind and showed genuine happiness at seeing my son doing well.
Once we got our food and I was paying and getting ready to leave, he asked for my phone number.
I wasn’t sure if I heard right, so I said, “What was that?” He repeated himself, and my brain completely short-circuited. I didn’t know what was happening. At the exact same time, my son was impatient to get out of there, and my phone actually started ringing with a call from the hospital that I needed to take. I quickly panicked, said, “Sorry, I need to take this call,” and answered the phone as I was being pulled away by my son.

The Realization:
It wasn’t until hours later that the fog cleared and I realized that this man had been hitting on me, or at least shooting his shot after weeks of what he thought was mutual flirting. Apparently, not having been hit on by anyone for over 14 years completely destroyed any awareness I might have had. I realized I walked away looking like a complete jerk who used the classic, cliché “I’m getting a phone call” trope to get out of dealing with an uncomfortable moment.

The Present Day Awkwardness:
Fast forward to now. I am back at the hospital with my son for follow-up care. As stated, this restaurant is the only nearby place I can go to for my dietary preferences, and I really like their food. But EVERY time I go there, I have to see this man and it is agonizingly awkward.
I was hoping I’d be able to just casually bring up the elephant in the room and clear the air, but he is completely cold and unspeaking every time I order now. I feel like if I were to try and force a conversation, it would come across as disingenuous, and it in no way feels like it’s something that has been invited. So now I just get my curry in absolute, chilly silence.

TL;DR: My 14-year marriage deactivated my flirting radar. I didn’t realize a guy at a food stand was hitting on me, accidentally rejected him using a hilariously cliché fake-phone-call exit, and now I have to face him in cold silence every day because it's the only place near the hospital I can eat.

Edit: Genuine question, I am fairly new to Reddit, what is it about this post that makes people think it’s AI? I wrote every word on this, though I did get some drafting help on it from my wife, who majored in English in college. Kinda weird to see so many comments claiming this is a bot? What do I need to do differently if I decide to post in the future?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...