Skip to main content

TIFU by being lactose intolerant my entire life and not knowing it!

Okay, so disclaimer: I don’t “know” if I have lactose intolerance for sure, but I think I do.

Right, so I decided to give up dairy for a little bit because I heard that can help with acne. I was very reluctant because I LOVE cheese and until I was 17 I’d pound through a gallon of whole milk in like two days. I used to be obese so I never really noticed (or cared) that I was bloated. I just thought everyone’s stomach expands when they drink milk. Fast forward to 2020: I lost 100lbs through a combination of running and intermittent fasting. I also gave up all beverages but water during this time. Eventually, after about a year with the weight firmly off, I loosened the reigns and reintroduced milk and coffee into my diet. Now, I’m at a point in my life where I care a lot about what goes in my body. I know I treated it like shit my entire life until this point, but I’m doing what’s right for it (mostly) now. I’ve also learned to take more pride in my appearance and decided to take care of my acne. I kinda started noticing that it seemed worse when I ate a lot of dairy. I looked this up and, sure enough, a lot of people experienced the same thing. So, a few days ago I decided to cut it from my diet.
Immediately, I noticed that other foods didn’t have this “heavy” feeling to them and my body sorta seemed thinner - not like “wow, I lost weight” but like a different look to it…it’s hard to explain. Anyway, last night I didn’t rest well so today I wanted coffee. I remembered my no dairy rule so I went and bought some almond milk. Let me tell you, I’m in a different world now! When I drank my coffee it felt the same as if I was drinking water! It was so strange and it was a moment of revelation because I didn’t know the way I felt wasn’t normal! Now that I have something to compare my experience with dairy to, it seems so obvious that dairy and I do not mix well. Like I said, I don’t know if I have lactose intolerance for sure, but why go back if being away from dairy is working for me? ….I still miss cheese though :(

Tl;Dr: I’m pretty sure I’m lactose intolerant and I literally just figured this out a few days ago after a lifetime of eating loads of dairy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...