Skip to main content

TIFU by borrowing someone’s car for 5 min & blowing the transmission

This happened a few years ago but I had to share it because to this day I still can't believe it happened to me.

I was at church and I started talking to this cute boy who I had seen a few time before this. We realized that we lived at the same apartment complex and I found out he drove an older (2006) Honda Civic stick shift. I learned how to drive on a stick shift and it had been a few years since I had driven one so I asked if we could trade cars for the quick drive back to our apartment complex after services ended. Since we were bantering back and forth a little he agreed but jokingly made me pinky promise I would give him my car if anything happened to his. I of course agreed since I knew nothing would happen. Boy was I wrong. He drove off before me and I eventually followed, slowly getting used to driving stick shift again. Within a minute or two I was feeling confident as ever and stupidly started filming a video of my driving adventure. As I went to shift, I didn't get it in the right gear and heard some grinding. No matter, I had done that in previous cars and it had never been an issue. Well that quickly proved not to be the case this time. Almost immediately the car started slowing down and wouldn't accelerate when I pushed the gas. I pulled to the side of the road and tried restarting it to no avail. Words cannot describe the absolute dread and embarrassment I felt as I had to call this boy and asked if it was a normal thing for his car not to run properly. He quickly drove back to me and after trying to start it himself, we determined it was completely broken. We drove back to our complex in my car where we parted ways to call our respective father's to see what they thought we should do. In the end he ended up having to have the car towed to a mechanic who replaced the transmission because I guess in the 5 minutes of me driving I had blown it. Never have I been so embarrassed in my life.

The only plus side to this story is that I became this guy's personal uber driver while his car was in the shop which got us talking more. He told me I could repay him by taking him out to dinner which I happily did and now 4 years later we are married with a one year old. And no, he still hasn't let me live this down. The End.

TL;DR I borrowed a boy’s car for a 5 minute drive, blew the transmission, died of embarrassment, and then married him a couple years later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...