Skip to main content

TIFU by realizing I'm perpetuating my boyfriend's trauma

I would like to start this post by saying I know that what happened to my boyfriend wasn't my fault, Im not implying that, but I know I struggle with articulation so I wanted to clear that up. Obvious throwaway, and apologies for formatting.

My boyfriend (20 M) and I (21 TF) have been since together since October, and not too long before we started dating he was raped. He's mentioned to me that he may have problems with intimacy, and that sex was off the table in any relationship before we started dating, and I was fine with that. I'm a very cuddly person, and he knows that. He's told me in the past he wants to heal and wants me to be intimate, but I'm now realizing the extent to what this is doing to him. We were cuddling in my car and he goes silent, not answering me verbally, which is a sign he's kinda out of it (we're both autistic and go non verbal when overstimulated, so it is my sign something is wrong) and turns out he's having a panic attack. The only other time I know of this happening to him was when we were making out and he noticed I was aroused. After I did my best to help him snap out of it, which I only hope I did well as I'm not used to situations like this, he told me something that I haven't stopped thinking about. "It just feels weird when I'm being held, and when I think about why I'm suddenly back to that place" (not going into detail here).

I'm a pretty insecure person, and I always have this insecurity about being weird, creepy, pervvy, etc. Being a trans woman I've kinda lived with the stereotype that I'm a predator. Because of this I've been really careful with my boyfriend, when we first started dating I'd ask for consent for everything, holding hands, cheek kisses, etc. Eventually he said i didn't need to, and he'd tell me if something was up, and he didn't want me feeling bad or hesitant to be intimate because of what happened to him because that'd only make him feel bad. So I trusted that, but now he's telling me something new about our intimacy and I don't know how to feel. I was terrified of doing something and hurting him, and I know I wouldn't do anything intentionally, so I've been trying my best to notice if I was doing something wrong. The first time he had a panic attack with me he said something felt different, the idea that someone was physically attracted to him kinda brought him back to that moment he was raped, and although I felt guilty, I pushed it down, saying it was irrational and put my full faith in him.

However now I can't stop thinking about that, this whole time we've been dating have I been doing this? Because he's has moments of being nonverbal before, but there's a difference between that and a panic attack, and up until now I assumed he'd just been zoned out. He zones out a lot when I'm driving him places and stuff so I thought it was that, but now I'm double guessing myself. He's aware of my insecurity, and now I'm wondering if he's been holding back his uncomfortable feelings to make sure I didn't feel guilty. I want to ask him if it's something he goes through more often than I realize, but I don't know if I could ever live with myself if he says yes.

TL;DR: my intimacy with my boyfriend caused a panic attack and now I'm questioning my actions through our relationship.

(Also apologizes if this breaks the "has to be your fault" rule, but I think this is more than just being insecure at this point)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...