Skip to main content

TIFU by getting hit in the face by a deer on a first date

Well, not actually today, but two years ago.

In the summer of 2024, after leaving a toxic job, I decided to take a six-week vacation before looking for a new one. I spent the summer at my family's trailer on a small island, about an hour away by boat from the city where I live.

Around that time, I finally felt ready to end the two-year break I had taken from dating, and a friend suggested Bumble, so I gave it a try. A few disappointing matches and a short-lived situationship later, I matched with J (31M). We hit it off and, since I was already away for the summer, we spent over a month talking, before finally deciding to meet. He offered to take the one-hour ferry to the island for our first date.

Since I knew the area well, I suggested we visit a tiny nearby island, that's only accessible by a small boat. It's a protected nature reserve with crystal-clear waters and deer and peacocks roaming freely. I'd been there more than 20 times over the years and had safely interacted with the animals.

As we boarded the little boat, we noticed several warning signs telling visitors to stay away from the deer. Feeling way too confident, I laughed them off and told J they were probably there for liability reasons because, in my experience, the deer always kept their distance.

You can probably see where this is going…

As soon as we arrived, J went to change into his swimsuit, while I sat on a bench near the beach bar eating a snack. Out of nowhere, a deer came up behind me and tried to steal the snack. When I instinctively pulled my hand away, it got frustrated and swung its antlers straight into my face, missing my left eye by just a few centimeters.

So, there I was, about 30 minutes into my first date, bleeding profusely while trying to process the fact that I'd just been assaulted by a deer.

We later learned that tourists had been feeding them all summer, making them bold enough to come and steal food from visitors. Apparently, several people—including a child—had already been injured.

When J came back, he found me covered in blood. Somehow, we both stayed surprisingly calm. The beach bar staff disinfected the wound, and I joked that he'd only gotten to see me "pretty" for a few minutes before I ended up with a hole in my face, but I still wanted to continue the date if he was okay with it.

He agreed, and we had a drink and even went for a swim. Despite the circumstances, I distinctly remember thinking his long, wet curly hair smelled amazing. Eventually, though, we decided to leave because my face wouldn't stop bleeding.

We got back and I drove us to the island's medical center, where J stayed with me while I got a tetanus shot and a few stitches. He remained calm and reassuring throughout the whole thing, and we even managed to joke about the situation. Afterwards, we grabbed lunch before he caught the ferry back home.

That date quite literally scarred me for life! (Pun intended)

Two years later, I have a small but pretty noticeable scar under my left eye... and a two-year relationship with the love of my life.

It took another two dates before anything happened between us. J was shy and didn't make a move until he asked if he could kiss me (which I found adorable). A few months later we officially became a couple, and I've never fallen so hard for someone. He's handsome, smart, sweet, sensitive (and always cooks for me, lol), and most importantly, he didn't let a deer attack scare him away.

To his friends, I was "the deer girl" for a long time, and we still tell the story of our first date whenever someone notices the little scar under my eye. Last year we even went back to the same island for our "Deer Anniversary." Thankfully, the deer had gone back to their normal behavior.

Throughout our relationship, we've spent countless evenings listening to Reddit story podcasts together, so I thought I'd dig up my old Reddit account and finally contribute one of our own. J, if you somehow ever stumble across this: I love you, and I feel incredibly lucky to have you.

Here's to many more Deer Anniversaries—preferably with fewer antlers.

TL;DR: I confidently told my first date the deer at a nature reserve were harmless. A few minutes later, one hit me in the face with its antlers, I needed stitches, got a permanent scar, and somehow ended up with the love of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...