- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I received a message on my main account which I now no longer have access to (more on that later)
The message was from someone claiming to have been a victim of an impersonator pretending to be me on reddit while phishing people. He then told me that he sent a report to the reddit admins about it, then revoked the report once he realized that the impersonator was not me (he showed me a screenshot of the impersonator's profile, which freaked me out)
He then showed me a screenshot (which I now realize must have been doctored) supposedly from Reddit support instructing him to forward me a discord account to add, with the name Benjamin Cisneros (who is an actual reddit staff member with a LinkedIn page)
Of course I shouldn't have accepted the page as proof that it was him, nor should i have fallen for something like this over Discord
But when I was told that this was a fraudulent activity case involving federal authorities and potential legal charges, including scary walls of text explaining this act and that act, etc. I just didn't ever stop to think, I was panicking so I just cooperated as best as I could for a little bit
For "investigation purposes" I changed my main account's email to an outlook email that looked like an official reddit custody email handle, so now I no longer have access to it and am actually really worried about the scammer using my account to find more potential victims like me
The scammer then asked me to provide my recent transaction history, and this is where I REALLY fucked up: the screenshot contains my full bank account number
Once I realized what I'd just sent, I slowly got cold feet and deleted the screenshot about 5 minutes after I sent it
So now not only did I lose my reddit account, but now my bank account is compromised. I called my bank, had them walk me through opening a new account, now I'm just waiting super anxiously
TL;DR: scammer impersonated reddit staff and made me share sensitive bank account information under threat of potential legal charges
Comments
Post a Comment