Skip to main content

TIFU by exclaiming “it smells like a dead body” when an actual dead body was in the house.

This happened in 2015 when I was a senior in high school.

My grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer in September of 2014 and had been told that it was terminal. He had just retired and we were all really sad that he wasn’t going to be able to enjoy retirement with his wife (he remarried after my grandma). He was a goofy guy who wore pants with embroidered ducks on them and always had a magic trick to show everyone when we would visit. During his last day alive, my mother, sister and myself came over to support his wife. There were also neighbors coming in and out of the house saying their goodbyes and just consoling each other. When my grandfather passed away, we were all in the room with him and told him we loved him and that it was okay to let go.

After we left the room to give his wife some time alone, my sister, my mom and I went downstairs to join the neighbors at the dining room table. This table was able to seat about 8 people and it was full so I was standing next to my mom at the head of the table. People had brought food to snack on and someone brought a cheese plate. I did not notice this cheese plate, so I started to comment about how stinky the room was to my mom and sister. Eventually I said the words “it smells like a dead body” OUT LOUD in front of everyone. The room was silent except for my mom and sister’s attempts to conceal their laughter. I turned beet red and added “erm...dead cat” to the sentence and then abruptly left to use the bathroom and reassess my life. I know my grandpa would’ve laughed if he heard it so that makes me feel better, but I can never look any of those neighbors in the face without remember that moment 🙃.

TL:DR While standing in a house that had my recently deceased grandfather upstairs, I said “it smells like a dead body...erm dead cat” because someone brought a stinky cheese plate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...