- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
So, a few years ago I got slotted for a position at this school. The school itself taught aviation maintenance and due to this fact, the network infrastructure was... less than perfect.
Which was very surprising due to the school itself basically running off PowerPoint for the classroom portions of the lessons. And all of the computers were linked together, booting straight from a server. So one thing to update, and update them all! Great idea, right?
Keep in mind that prior to this, I have had ZERO experience and/or training with anything IT related and everything I know now was from strictly trial and error, coupled with luck, ménage à trois’ed with many days of frustration and YouTube.
I was a week or two in and we were at a company gathering, I happened to be mingling to get to know some of my co-workers when my boss walks over and we start joking.
“Haha! Hey man! So how’s the first couple weeks going for you?!”
“Well I’m learning the ropes, but man... y’all’s computers are old as shit!”
“Yeah, I need someone who is decent with computers to help me find a plan with our network..”
“Ha! I hear that, I don’t have a lot of experience with computers, but I know how to run Windows troubleshooter” I say jokingly.
It became my full time job to ensure the upkeep of the server, network, all of the computers, and that all of the lessons were up to date on the server. It was a fucking nightmare. And, that became everything with a fucking power button! Suddenly it was my fault that the internet doesn’t work, or the printer jammed... like I’m a fucking helicopter mechanic. How the fuck am I supposed to know what to do about the short fucking Ethernet cord you have.
I’M SORRY TERRY, IF YOUR FAT ASS DIDN’T ROLL INTO THE ETHERNET PORT EVERY TIME YOU GOT OUT OF YOUR CHAIR, IDK MAYBE IT WOULDN’T BE BROKEN! ...Let me look at it...fuck...
I do admit, the previous dude was a fucking hoarder and ordered everything electronic related adapter wise that he could, probably because he was in a similar situation, so I had quite a bit to work with. Now the effort was to figure out what to do with everything. After 3 years of piecing shit together to make nicer shit, I left the job for an actual maintenance job. All the frustration and headache and hair pulling did pay off, because I learned valuable knowledge about the hardware and software sides of computers. But I JUST WANTED TO FIX HELICOPTERS!!
TL;DR: At a party with my new co-workers, mentioned I owned a computer, got put in charge of maintaining an entire network and I hated it. And Terry is fat.
Comments
Post a Comment