Skip to main content

TIFU by Insulting a Customer's Child

This story takes place in about 2004 when I was half-way through high school. My step father, John, owned his own hardware store and I was the entitled kid who was forced to work there. I say forced because it wasn't my idea, but my parents decided it would be good to get some easy work experience before I entered the real world. It was a simple "This is where the screw drivers are..." type job, and I got paid minimum wage for 2-3 hours a few days after school and 8 hours one day of the weekend. It was enough that I could easily do my schoolwork and make some extra (legitimate) money on the side. Being an entitled jerk, I hated it and tried everything I could do to entertain myself without doing the work I was assigned.

More often than not, friends of mine would come hang out with me while I was working. We'd usually spend most of my 'shift' playing solitaire/minesweeper on the ancient computers (even at that time), use some scrap wood from the custom-cut jobs the store did to put together rubber-band guns, build gopher snares, or whatever else our dumb teenage brains could think of.

Now, being dumb kids living in a town with less than 3k people living in it, we got into spouting niche jokes that we repeated at nauseum. (Think, "Your mom," "Deez Nuts," or any joke that could be inserted into a random conversation.) At this point in time, our joke was, "Some people's kids...."

So we're sitting in front of the hardware isle, 2 of my friends and me, and we're joking and playing with the new fangled technology that is Microsoft's legendary text-to-speech. We were making it say various strange phrases, repeat foul words on repeat, and generally having a great laugh.

That's when one of the customers walked in with their little boy, maybe 4 years old. He was a regular at the store, and I'd seen him dozens of times, though today was special! He had brought his son with him for the first time. He glanced at us, smiled, and walked into the back to grab some horse feed.

As he was walking back to the register with his feed, however, I (in response to the text-to-speech program) uttered our current favorite joke... "Some people's kids..." and shook my head disappointingly as I glanced up and noticed him, and he looked up to noticed me.

The death glare was real.

Normally, any sane person would say, "Oh, no, we were talking about..." but even then, it wouldn't have made sense to someone who's known nothing but cattle and tractors their whole life. So we all froze...

And we all looked back at him... And he stared at us as he walked in slow motion with a bag of feed over his shoulder past us.

That loyal customer of my step father's never came back after that. That look of horror, disgust, and indignation haunts me to this day. I wake in the night thinking of that look, of how much of a horrible person I must have seemed to him, and how much of a blow to my step-father's business I must have made given the size of the town.

TL;DR I told a customer his kid was trash and cost my step father a potential life-time of business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...