- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I usually work in an office with my laptop docked, and a headset for the VOIP phone system. Sometimes I take my laptop home and work from there, and use the PC speakers instead because it's just me and wearing a headset hurts my ears. Skype for business sometimes has trouble keeping up with hardware changes, so the first time I get a call, it goes looking for a headset and can't find it. Usually this means that I can't hear the caller, and that they can't hear me. You can probably see where this is going.
I get a call yesterday, while working from home, and I don't recognise the number. I try to answer, but I can't hear anything because Skype for business is looking for my headset. I grumble to myself/my computer, try to change the settings, can't find the thing in time, the caller hangs up. Ok, think nothing of it, they'll call back. Carry on working, forget about it.
That evening, I see an email from the nurse manager at the rest home where my Aunt is a resident. She's in the end stages of dying of progressive dementia, and I have power of attorney for her. The nurse manager apologises for disturbing me, and asks if there's a better method of communication etc. I respond explaining the above about my headset not working, that I couldn't hear her, and that I thought she couldn't hear me. I'm happy to be called when it's urgent or when they need a decision/information from me, and I would prefer email for things that are just keeping me informed.
This morning I see her reply. I hadn't remembered exactly what I muttered, but here's the call from her perspective.
Me: Hello, cman_yall speaking
Her: Hello, it's nurse manager at rest home, I just have some questions about...
Me: [mumble, click] aarrggh, not this nonsense again...
Her: ...
So here I sit, cringing at what this woman must have thought of me.
TL;DR: the nurse could hear me, I couldn't hear her, she thought I was talking to her when I was bitching about my technical difficulties.
Comments
Post a Comment