Skip to main content

TIFU by saying no to a game

TIFU by telling a 'friend' too much about a comment made on Reddit

Not today, but recently: I had a 'friend' who I talked to pretty frequently and always seemed supportive of what I was doing and was easy to talk to about life... I knew he was on Reddit, but we never exchanged information regarding such. Also to note, we also shared other social media in which he made his political views known (conservative), but he had no idea about mine (more liberal, but still some conservative ideals).

One day, I decided to make a comment on a post on Reddit, and due to the content of the comment, I had started myself on a downward spiral of my mood (comment talked about and extremely depressing occurrence in my life occasionally makes me sad when I think about it). Eventually, he found my Reddit account and after reading the depressing content, he also Reddit-stalked me.

The next day, I was explaining a story, and described a couple as a female and male to explain why the couple was splitting up since he did know their names. Exact words: "the art collective I am part of is ran by a couple: the female is moving away and the male is focusing more on being a professor." This immediately led to him asking me to use their preferred pronouns. I told him I didn't understand but that I was really heartbroken by the whole situation of the art collective in which he started cracking jokes about political correctness and basically just kept cracking jokes that didn't make any sense regarding a bunch of political buzzwords. He then informed me that he hunted down my Reddit account and saw how crazy I am and started making all of these negative assumptions and comments. Mind you, he stated he loved my big heart and willingness to help others, but based on the comments he made, it was only if it directly benefitted him, otherwise it was stupid.

So, I'm not sure if TIFU because I decided to try to be friends with him or I gave him the ammo he needed to pass all this judgment on me, but anyway which way I'm heartbroken because I know both of us need more solid friends.

TLDR: gave a conservative 'friend' enough information to hunt down my Reddit account which led to him immediately turning our next conversation into political discourse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...