Skip to main content

TIFU by saying no to a game

TIFU by Sending a Very Inappropriate GIF to My Boss Instead of My Friend

So, this happened earlier today, and I’m still dying of embarrassment. I work in an office where we use a messaging app for communication (you know, typical corporate stuff). I’ve always been super careful with who I’m messaging, but today I managed to make the mother of all mistakes.

I have a friend who also works in the same company, and we’ve been passing the time by sending each other funny GIFs throughout the day to keep our spirits up. You know the ones — ridiculous, sometimes a little inappropriate, but all in good fun.

Anyway, I was in the middle of a boring workday when I came across the perfect GIF for my friend. It was this clip of a cat slapping another cat while the words "Shut the F*** Up" flashed across the screen. A little aggressive, but hilarious in context (we’d just been talking about how annoying someone in the office was being).

I clicked on the GIF, hit send, and immediately continued with my work like nothing had happened. A few minutes later, I saw a notification pop up. My stomach dropped. It wasn’t my friend who replied. It was my BOSS.

Turns out, I didn’t send the cat slap GIF to my friend. I sent it to my boss. And not just any boss—the boss. The CEO of the company. The guy who literally signs my paycheck.

Cue full-on panic mode.

I quickly opened the message thread and there it was: the aggressive cat slap GIF, sent directly to the CEO with absolutely zero context. No “Hey, sorry, wrong message!” or “This was meant for someone else!” Just a GIF of a cat telling the CEO to shut the f*** up. I was horrified.

My immediate instinct was to try and fix it. I started typing out an apology, but then stopped. What the hell do I even say?!

"Uh, sorry for telling you to shut up with a violent cat, Mr. CEO? I was trying to send that to a friend who was venting about their lunch break?"

I panicked, deleted the draft, and left it on read. My brain was screaming, and I had no idea how to handle this situation. So, I did what any rational person would do—I turned off my computer and pretended it didn’t happen.

Fast forward to about an hour later, and I’m still sweating bullets, checking my phone every five seconds to see if I’ve been fired via email. Then, suddenly, a reply notification comes through. Heart pounding, I open it.

And this is what I see:

“Aggressive, but I like it. Let’s keep the meetings short today.”

My jaw hit the floor. Not only did he not fire me, but he actually responded with...a joke? Was this real life? I don’t know if I’m in the clear yet, but at least for now, I still have a job.

Moral of the story: Always check who you’re sending GIFs to. Or better yet, maybe don’t send your boss a cat slap meme at all.

TL;DR: Tried to send a funny GIF to a friend but accidentally sent it to my boss, nearly lost my job and my dignity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...