Skip to main content

TIFU by accidentally telling a guy his date wasn't into him (and being completely right)

I can't get over this embarrassing incident that happened last Saturday.

I work as a bartender in a fancy cocktail bar in NYC. The weekends are busy, and I’m able to read my tables quickly their body language, speed of drink, their tipping behaviour etc. You get the hang of things.

This couple arrived and sat at the bar right in front of my station around 9pm. The first trouble sign was her mocktail order. I learned later that it wasn’t because she didn’t drink but because she wanted to stay sober enough to leave early if needed. Another concerning sign is that she left her coat on for the first 20 minutes. Another warning sign was her constant phone usage whenever he wasn’t looking.

This dude was making a real effort not gonna lie. He ordered the good shit. He requested my suggestions. He showed her that he really liked her in a thoughtful way.

My colleague and I have a whispered observation thing we do periodically in between the rush. I accept full responsibility for being a moron. He bent towards me and asked me "think it's going well?" nodding in the couple's direction, without thinking I went "she's got one foot out the door, I give it 20 more minutes."

I didn’t notice how much quieter the bar had become.

I didn’t think he heard what I said.

He was somewhat shocked. After a moment, he glanced over at his date. Her guilty expression basically confirmed everything I said was right. He settled the bill, left a big tip that somehow made it worse, and off they went. Before she even reached the door, she was already on the phone calling.

The next Tuesday he showed up alone, and I apologized. He brushed it off and said, “Nah, you saved me from a third date.” We chatted for like an hour. He’s actually very awesome.

But I still think about how his expression was when he heard me. I felt awful.

TL;DR: Whispered to my coworker that a guy's date was clearly checked out. Bar went quiet at the wrong moment. He heard me. She had the exact guilty face that confirmed it. They left separately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...