Skip to main content

TIFU by finding out old office gossip about my girlfriend at her work party

Last night i went to my girlfriend's work drinks and ended up hearing something i really did not need to hear there.

She works at a marketing company. i barely know her coworkers and i also knew that her ex used to come to some of these events before they broke up. that matters.

things were fine at first.then one of her coworkers, leon, who was already pretty drunk, started talking to me near the bar like he knew me. i figured he was just being friendly.

then he looked at another guy and said something like crazy you came back after that whole dan thing.

i asked, what dan thing?

he immediately froze and asked my name. turns out he thought i was my girlfriend’s ex, not me.

what he was talking about was old office gossip from the end of her last relationship. apparently some people thought she was being a little too flirty with dan from analytics at after work drinks. according to everyone, nothing actually happened. leon just mashed together old gossip and drunken stupidity and dumped it on the worst possible person.

my girlfriend walked up right as i asked about dan, so from her point of view it looked awful instantly. she pulled me outside and started explaining that it was just old rumor garbage and she never mentioned it because nothing happened and she thought it was dead and embarrassing.

i actually believed her. the problem is i got awkward and tried to joke instead of shutting up.

i said i was mostly confused why i was hearing the full dan lore from a guy who could barely stand up.

that did not go over well.

she thought i was making her sound shady even if i said i believed her. we stayed a little longer so it wouldn’t look like a huge scene, then went home in total silence.

this morning leon sent a long apology saying he mixed me up with her ex and should’ve kept his mouth shut.

TL;DR: my girlfriend's drunk coworker mistook me for her ex and brought up old office gossip about her and another guy and i made the whole thing worse by joiking at the worst possible time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...