Skip to main content

TIFU by making myself obsolete at work

I've been working at a small company in general operations for ~5 years. When I started, there were less than 12 of us, so I handled supply chain, logistics, and eventually warehousing and fulfillment. The company and team grew, and I got tired of doing the same things - even with a full team of warehouse folks and a warehouse supervisor that reported to me, I was still having to be hands-on with unloads and some day-to-day things. I had manager in my title, but I didn't do much managing.

I was given the opportunity to grow the team, so I did just that. I picked a bright warehouse guy that wanted to do more, and I developed him for supply chain and logistics. It took a while to get going, but with a lot of training and help he grew into his own and was fully self-sufficient other than one-on-ones and occasional direction from me.

Next up was the warehouse supervisor. I have maybe 15 years of experience in warehousing and fulfillment, so I taught her everything I know. How to optimize work flows, how to coach and develop her own team, how to do performance reviews and have her own one-on-ones with the team.

I kept doing things that good bosses do and removed roadblocks for them, provided support and guidance, gave input on matters when they needed help, and helped them get projects across the finish line. I used the extra time I had to do some higher scope projects, developed a lot of reporting, analysis, and data infrastructure that we were lacking. I found ways to automate a lot of my own tasks and helped other departments achieve the same. I became something of a process expert and I really got a lot of things running smoothly to free up the sales and marketing teams to do more.

Here's where things started to turn-

The company hired an operations director. I got him trained up and he more-or-less took over my role as operations manager and I was no longer needed. I got moved into marketing, managing one of our sales channels that needed help. We've had some serious inventory issues over the last year (tariffs) and the channel has been falling behind. We don't have a runway of inventory inbound so I don't have much to work with.

I got thrown into that role with no experience, no training, and no support "just figure it out, you're smart." 2 weeks later I get pipped (performance improvement plan) for lack of results and I have 2 weeks to somehow turn it around. I'm clearly being worked out despite years of great results and the entire team going to bat for me. This is likely the end and I'm currently looking for a new job.

TL;DR - I developed and promoted most of my team, I automated a lot of my tasks, and I trained someone who would eventually take my position. I got put into a new role with no support and am likely to get fired in the next couple of weeks.

Wish me luck on the job hunt 🥲

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...