Skip to main content

TIFU by mistaking chicken smell with gas leak

Me (27F) and my partner (30M) came back from date night yesterday night, to find the house surrounded with a potent smell of what I can only describe as farts. We were tired, wanted to continue our night, and kind of thought it was just lack of air circulation in the house somehow. It's been moist out for a few days, maybe that's the smell, so we thought.

We left all windows open at night and went to bed calmly. I could not sleep the whole night due to aches and partially the smell. We woke up and continued our day, but the smell of farts were still surrounding our living room. We smelled the sinks, walked through rooms, the smell was mostly in the living room but potent enough to be carried around. My partner confirmed it didn't seem to be a sewer issue, and I started to get worried. A quick google search and a few reddit posts indicated that a fart smell could be 'rotten egg' smell, which indicates gas leak. I don't eat eggs, and am not familiar with the rotten egg smell at all. However the reddit posts seem to suggest that we were approaching an imminent death if we did not take action quickly.

So, I messaged our landlord describing the smell and communicating concerns of gas leak, while also calling our utility company for an investigation. We are guided to leave the premises and call 911. I instead decide to clean the dishes before leaving as the landlord is also on his way and it's poor taste to leave dishes in the sink. I am glad we did not leave.

The landlord enters, and quickly confirms that it is not a rotten egg smell, but probably a rat that died somewhere in the house. This reassures us, and we accept our fate of living with fart smells for a while until the rat body decomposes. We eat our meals in the balcony. We live off of our bedroom for a few hours. We joke about the potential of us having farted too much and invited our landlord to smell our farts that took over the house.

We adapt to our new way of living, until dinner time. I realize we got a meal prep kit that we haven't cooked yet, and the recipe is a chicken breast recipe. We did discuss that we didn't see a chicken when unloading the bag initially, and quickly came to the conclusion that they must have forgotten it.

I read the instructions again. It clearly says chicken included. Lightning strikes. I make eye contact with the freezer bag that we left under the dinner table. I open it, and here it is. The fart smells. We handle the bag a bit more to find there was a specific pocket with a special bag in it, that held a inflated bag of chicken breasts that were there for the past 6 days.

We discard the chicken. The smell is already dissipating. We can sit in the living room again. Farts don't indicate rotten eggs, just their mother dying.

TL:DR; we left a bag of chicken in our living room to rot, and confused it's smell with smell of gas leak.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...