Skip to main content

TIFU by smoking the world's 5th most potent poison (ricin) thinking it was weed.

Obligatory this happened back in 2010.

I was a socially awkward teenager. I had no plug and my botanical knowledge was close to zero.

I spotted a plant that had these large, palm-shaped leaves. To my untrained and desperate teenage eyes, it looked exactly like weed

I thought I had hit the jackpot. I didn't have to talk to anyone or spend any money.

I harvested some of the plant material, went home, and prepared to have my first trip. I managed to roll it up and started smoking it.

My Fuck Up

It wasn't weed. It was Ricinus communis aka the Castor Bean plant. Castor seeds contain ricin. Ricin is a toxin so potent that a dose the size of a few grains of salt can kill a full grown man. It has no antidote.

I only realized what I had done after my parents grilled me on why I had a toxic plant in my room. I spent the next few days in a state of absolute panic, waiting for my organs to fail.

But I turned out to be the luckiest idiot on the planet. Ricin is a protein, and proteins are deactivated by extreme heat. Since I smoked it, I deactivated most of the poison, and thankfully, I didn't try to make any brownies with it.

**TL;DR:** Mistook a castor plant for weed, tried to smoke it, and only survived because the fire I used to smoke the poison was the one thing that could neutralize it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...