Skip to main content

TIFU by telling my gym I'm moving to Portugal so I could cancel my membership and now they keep mailing me Portuguese visa application info

ok backstory. about a year ago i wanted to cancel my gym membership. it was that boutique kind where you have to talk to a human. i'm 42. i panicked anyway.

she asked why i was canceling. i said "i'm moving to portugal."

i'm not moving to portugal. i was between leases for a couple months and the gym was twenty minutes from my new place. but you can't say "it's not convenient anymore" to a 22 year old in a polo shirt who's been trained to "save the relationship." so i said portugal.

she gasped. she literally gasped. "oh my god, that's amazing." she ASKED ABOUT THE LIFESTYLE. i made up a beach. she put it in my file. she said "we have a sister gym in lisbon, do you want me to email you a referral?" i said sure because i panicked again.

so the email comes. it has a portuguese visa pdf attached. there is a line about "your move." it is signed "boa sorte!"

that was eleven months ago. every single month i get a follow-up email. how is portugal. did i find an apartment. one of them was titled "missing you back home." another one had a photo of pasteis de nata. i live in the same city i always have. i have not been to portugal. i do not speak portuguese. i googled what pasteis de nata was.

this morning i got an email that said "happy 1 year anniversary in your new home!" with a personal handwritten message from claire. i don't know who claire is. i think she might run their portugal program now. i think there might not be a portugal program. i think claire might be writing these to me, specifically, because she got attached.

i'm 42 and a customer service rep in another time zone is more invested in my fictional life than my actual one.

i've been thinking i should reply and say it didn't work out and i moved back. but the level of detail i'd have to fabricate to explain a year of fake lisbon life is impossible. i don't even know what their currency is.

at this point i'm just going to keep being portuguese forever now.

TL;DR I lied to my gym to cancel my membership a year ago and now claire from customer service writes me monthly emails about my fictional life in portugal and i don't have the heart to tell her

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...