Skip to main content

TIFU (update): hosted my first game night and discovered I cannot be trusted with calendar invites

Quick update on my attempt to be a normal social adult. I finally tried to rebuild my social life by hosting a small online game night for a few coworkers. I work remote, so this felt like a big step.

Last week I posted in our team chat, "Hey, if anyone wants to play a chill game Friday night, I will host." People actually responded. Multiple people. I panicked and made a calendar invite so it would look organized and not like I was a golden retriever begging for attention.

Here is where I messed up. I created the invite during my lunch break while half doing a jigsaw puzzle on my desk. I set it for Friday at 7:00, then remembered one coworker is on the west coast and tried to adjust for time zones.

In the process I somehow sent three different invites: one that showed 7:00 PM my time, one that translated to 4:00 PM for them, and a third that went out as 7:00 AM the next day. My calendar looked fine so I did not notice, and I was feeling pretty proud of myself for being social.

Today I got a message at 3:58 PM asking, "Are we still on for 4?" At 6:45 PM another person said, "Grabbing snacks, see you soon." And at 7:05 AM tomorrow, a coworker politely asked if I was okay because I had missed the game night.

I spent the next hour apologizing and admitting I had messed up the invites and, apparently, broken time. The upshot is I am now officially the person who cannot schedule a rectangle.

TL;DR: Tried to host a coworker game night, messed up time zones on the calendar invites, and everyone showed up at different times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by plastering a permanent male appendage onto my brother’s wall.

I M17, plastered a massive one square meter schlong onto my brothers wall today. For revenge. Last week I woke up from a nice, calming dream and opened my eyes to see an A4 peice of paper taped on my roof that said “Fck you.” directly above my head. there was no reason behind it. When I confronted my brother about it his reasoning was that he was bored. I thought it ended at that, so I got my brother back by putting saran wrap around his door and I made paper chains with little insults written on each loop and I taped that to his roof. He simply laughed and asked if I “found them yet?” I was confused what he meant by that but he wouldn’t say anything else so I left it at that. A few days later. At 12:00 at night, a poster from my wall falls to the ground, and behind the poster is a note tapped to my wall. (Crazy coincidence, it’s like my bedroom purposefully uncovered the note) The note had “tickle my urethra.” Written on it. I then decided to check behind a poster next to it to see ...