- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This happened yesterday and I still feel like an idiot, I was at work when I got a text saying my bank had temporarily locked my account and I needed to verify my identity.
It had the bank's name, looked completely legitimate and even caught me at the perfect time because I'd made a couple of larger purchases that morning.
I was literally about to tap the link when I remembered I'd installed Cloaked a while back and decided to check it first. But no it didn't flag it as a suspicious message.
Instead of clicking anything I closed it and called my bank using the number on the back of my card. Turns out the text was actually legitimate. Now I'm thinking, great I almost ignored my own bank because I trusted an app more than the message.
The customer service rep laughed and said they'd had quite a few people calling to double check because scams have gotten so convincing lately.
So I spent the next ten minutes apologizing to someone who probably answers this exact question twenty times a day. I guess I'd rather look a little paranoid than click a fake banking link, but it was definitely one of those moments where you realize just how hard it's becoming to tell what's real anymore.
TLDR: I got a text saying my bank had locked my account, checked it with Cloaked, which it didnt flag as suspicious, called my bank instead of clicking the link and found out the text was actually legitimate. I spent ten minutes apologizing to the bank rep because I'd convinced myself it was a scam.
Comments
Post a Comment