Skip to main content

TIFU by almost reporting my own bank for fraud

This happened yesterday and I still feel like an idiot, I was at work when I got a text saying my bank had temporarily locked my account and I needed to verify my identity.

It had the bank's name, looked completely legitimate and even caught me at the perfect time because I'd made a couple of larger purchases that morning.

I was literally about to tap the link when I remembered I'd installed Cloaked a while back and decided to check it first. But no it didn't flag it as a suspicious message.

Instead of clicking anything I closed it and called my bank using the number on the back of my card. Turns out the text was actually legitimate. Now I'm thinking, great I almost ignored my own bank because I trusted an app more than the message.

The customer service rep laughed and said they'd had quite a few people calling to double check because scams have gotten so convincing lately.

So I spent the next ten minutes apologizing to someone who probably answers this exact question twenty times a day. I guess I'd rather look a little paranoid than click a fake banking link, but it was definitely one of those moments where you realize just how hard it's becoming to tell what's real anymore.

TLDR: I got a text saying my bank had locked my account, checked it with Cloaked, which it didnt flag as suspicious, called my bank instead of clicking the link and found out the text was actually legitimate. I spent ten minutes apologizing to the bank rep because I'd convinced myself it was a scam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...