Skip to main content

TIFU by bringing a cat to a budget hotel

I (28M) am a US citizen who's been working in the UK for the past two years. I made the decision to move back home and am finally on the road back home. The catch? I brought my cat (F5) with me. The UK is super strict about how animals can enter and exit the country, and I'm super protective of my cat, so I have to fly into and out of the EU in order to have her ride in the cabin of the plane with me and have her with me the entire time.

The journey up to this point has been stressful for me and my cat. In addition to everything that comes with leaving a toxic work environment and mental health struggles, I spent all of last week getting everything removed from our London flat. Monday, she had a vet appointment to get cleared to travel and then had a hotel stay. Tuesday (yesterday), we had a seven-hour car ride from our hotel in London to the new hotel in a town near CDG airport. The idea for the French leg of our trip was that we would arrive on Tuesday, spend the day in France on Wednesday, and then fly out on Thursday so she could get a day free from cat jail (her carrier) and I could get a day to sightsee because who knows when I'll get the chance to see Paris again.

Anyway, because two years of living abroad has really eaten into my finances, I booked us some budget hotels to save some money. The budget hotel in London was fine. It's a chain hotel we stayed at when I first moved to the UK, the rooms are drab but functional, and there is no space between the bedframe and the floor. The budget hotel in France is a little less comfortable with less amenities and space, but a bed is a bed and €6 for a lift to the airport is a steal. However, it should be noted that there is space under the bed and that the mattress sits on a box spring with a dust cover underneath.

Our first night in the hotel was uneventful. My cat got dinner that she ate happily, she investiagted her travel litterbox, we got to bed early, I got some good cat snuggles, and everything seemed like it would be fine this morning based on all prior experiences here. Because everything was basically fine, I went ahead and left to grab some breakfast for a convenience store thinking she would be able to just chill out.

I got back to my room around half an hour later. I could hear the bell on her collar, but I couldn't see her, so I knew she was safe in the room. I assumed she was probably under the bed because it's a space that's hard for humans to get into because it's low to the ground and there's not much space between the bed and the walls. I had my breakfast, rechecked my route for my day trip, and got ready to head out. The last thing I wanted to do before I left was to lay eyes on my cat and have some pets and a pep talk before I headed out.

Was she under the bed? Technically yes, but more like IN the underside. My idiot daughter either found and enlarged or created a tear in the dust cover and decided it would be a good place to hang out. How did I know? Her little fat rolls were peaking out of the tear and the fabric had enough give to show me where the underside of her "hammock" was.

I immediately started to panic but tried to play it cool and do what I know. I tried opening up the bag of dry food I brought for her and scooping it to entice her with the sound. Nothing. I do the same with a bag of treats. Nothing. I sat on the ground and try to talk to her softly and gently. Nothing. I tried to fish her out of her hidey hole. She moved to the other side of the bed. Fuck.

I went to the front desk and tried to get some help. I speak a decent amount of French, but I panic better in English and fortunately the hotel staff could mostly understand me. I got the front desk person to come into the room and investigate and see what she could do. She gave me some dog treats to coax my cat out with. My idiot daughter would either try to paw at it or try to stick no more than her snoot out to bite the treat. The front desk person brought a broom to try to my cat toward the tear in the dust cover, so my cat naturally went everywhere else but. We tried to lift the bed and combine that strategy with the treat and the broom. No dice, just sniffed treats and hanging out past the gash in the fabric. I even tried to coax her out with wet food while two people lifted up the bed for me. This feline bitch was having none of it.

Eventually the hotel maintenance staff decided to leave and see if the kitchen had any meat or cheese they could coax my cat out with. So I panicked and cried again before remembering I had brought my cat's laser pointer toy that she loves. I set a dog treat near the gash in the fabric and got the laser pointing at it. Apparently the laser was the secret sauce because it was only then that she fully exited the dust cover hammock, just in time for the hotel maintenance staff to return with a small plate of brie and ham. As soon as my cat got to the edge of the underside of the bed, I made my move, grabbed my idiot daughter, and yote her into her carrier. Success! The entire ordeal from discovery to rescue took around an hour and fifteen minutes.

The hotel staff left the small plate in the room for the cat anyway and I immediately set to cat-proofing the environment as best I could. My daughter lacks gratitude, so the ham and brie went to feed her stressed-out father.

We still have one night here, so I'm a bit nervous about my daughter trying something again, but I've done what I can to keep her safe albeit slightly perturbed. I'm also shuddering to think what this will do to my hotel bill. At least I hope I gave the hotel staff a wicked story to tell at parties. Wish us luck during our flight tomorrow, we have nine hours in the sky ahead of us.

TL;DR: my stressed out cat clawed and got into the box spring and it took three people, many food items, and a laser pointer to get her out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...

TIFU by taking my cat to the vet an hour and a half away.

So, I had to take my cat to the vet to get neutered and decided to schedule an appointment at a vet that was close to my brother so I could spend some time with him. I frequently drive with my cat so he is pretty tame but I have never taken him for that length of time before so I put him in his kennel. The drive was going great no issues. UNTIL I was maybe 20 minutes away from the vet. I was listening to music and I started to smell something awful. At first I thought maybe I was driving by cows or some kind of animal until I look over and see my cat walking in circles with poop all over him. It was disgusting I didn’t know what to do so I rolled the windows down to try and breath through the stench. I was able to pull over for a second and took the top layer of the pee pad out of the kennel so I could get rid of some of the smell. I continued on my way to the vet and about 2 minutes away from getting there he does it again. The issue here is I guess I didn’t close the kennel all the ...