- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This happened today and I'm still replaying it like a cringe highlight reel.
I've been trying to be less awkward, so I've started rehearsing simple compliments in the car before I walk into places. Small thing, but it helps me not freeze up and blurt something weird.
I pulled into a busy grocery store parking lot and noticed someone a few cars over with an amazing haircut: sharp, fresh, clearly intentional. I told myself to be a normal person, say it, and move on. I muttered under my breath, "Okay, just say, 'Your haircut looks really good, have a nice day.'" Then I got cocky and repeated it a little louder to test my tone.
What I didn't realize was that my driver-side window was down and a different person was walking right past my car, pushing a cart close enough to hear me.
They stopped, looked at me, and I smiled and delivered my rehearsed line like I was in an ad: "Your haircut looks really good."
They just stared, then reached up and patted their head like they were checking for hair. They were completely bald.
My brain shorted out. Instead of backtracking, I panic-laughed and said, "I mean, like, the shape of it." That somehow made it worse, like I was complimenting the geometry of their skull.
They pushed the cart away in silence while I sat there red-faced, wishing I could rewind time or at least roll my window up faster.
TL;DR: Practiced complimenting someone's haircut in my car with the window down, accidentally said it to a bald stranger, and made it worse by complimenting the shape of their head.
Comments
Post a Comment