Skip to main content

TIFU by not making a move when the opportunity was there

Today I (25m) went to the cinema to watch The Odyssey (keep in mind this movie is 3 hours long) with my friend. We walk in and take out booked seats to sit down. Not long after, a group of girls come by (ages roughly 25 - 50) and sit in the remaining seats next to me.

So the pre-movie ads and trailers start, so I make myself comfortable and talk to my friend about some upcoming movies. When out of the corner of my eye, I notice the girl next to me taking quick glances at me. I ignore this and just mind my own business.

As the trailers and then the movie start, I notice more glances towards me, so I reciprocate the glance. I was intrigued. Due to the movie being long, I lean into the corner of my seat, away from my friend and towards the stranger. Not too long after, the girl next to me does the same thing. Coincidence, right…

The movie continues, and as it goes on, we move and shuffle around, but we always end up leaning close to each other after a while.

As the hours went by and the final act started coming on, I started to notice her quirks. How she would move around and adjust herself, her giggles, and her highly expressive excitement and fear she experiences when watching the movie. As the final act started to play and the tension of the scene started to rise, we began to lean into each other with barely enough room to fit a small box of popcorn between our heads.

As this was going on, I was thinking if I should say something to her, which moved to what I should say. The movie keeps playing, and we stayed like this for the final 20ish minutes of the movie.

Credits come on, and I quickly adjust myself, and as I’m doing this, I notice the girl does a triple take at me. I quickly look at her a few times without her seeing as well, taking note of everything, and my first thought was, “Hmm, she seems a bit older than me. I won’t say anything to her.”

However, I start thinking if I should say anything and then what to say. I turn to her to say something, but I just end up not saying anything. My friend and I leave the cinema, and a large, heavy feeling of sadness and disappointment came over me.

As we leave to head to our car, we stop in the foyer, and I see the girl walk past, roughly my age (give or take a couple of years), walk by with whom I assume is her mum and sister as she glances at me. I thought about saying something, but I didn’t. I had the perfect moment in the cinema. I knew it, and I didn’t do anything. I regret this very much.

Now for the lesson.
If you happen to be a person like me, one who sometimes is afraid of talking to new people and sees people making advances at you but decides not to acknowledge them;
You should ignore the anxiety, the fear. Because once the moment is gone, you will feel as if you missed an opportunity of a lifetime.

So take the chance, take the risk.

TL;DR: A stranger and I at the cinemas were looking at each other and spent most of the movie leaning up against each other but I chose not to talk to her and regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...