Skip to main content

TIFU by not watering plants, being lazy, & trusting my sister

So i(20m) was home from college to stay & look after the house & my younger sister(17f), while my parents(50+) & older brother(23m) went on vacation for a week & a few days. I thought that since i live alone at college & keep my place clean this would be a piece of cake. My sister likes cooking & her window reaches the high plants that i can't reach, and i'll water the rest of the plants, as well as take care of the guinea pigs & do the dishes. My sister planned in a party before my parents even left, but she told me in advance & the previous parties she organized where pretty tame.

The party is pretty rough, the floorboard of our wheeled scaffolding broke when a guy tried jumping off it into our window, a glass broke but that was just water, and the doorframe to the downstairs toilet was broken. The house was also pretty dirty & sticky. I basically spent all of it guarding the staircase because the one rule we had was everything stays on ground floors. My sister decided to give a house tour anyway...

During a video call my sister mentions that she waters all plants daily. I saw this as reason enough to let her take over that job since i have to get back to studying soon because if i fail the next exams i have to quit college & wasted 3 years of my life. She also promised to prepare our family something nice when they came back.

The day after the party was rough, neither me or my sister did any cleaning, me because i was studying & my sister was hammered & tired since we had to stay up till 5 am to evict the last drunkard when his older sibling picked him up. That evening she left to party all night (the city of Ghent organises an annual festival). When she came back she lost the key to our €1200+ electric bycicle which is still standing at the train station. That morning was the last we'd spend alone, they'd be landing at 7pm. My sister was hammered again as she only got back at 6am, so I decided to start cleaning & doing work but it wasn't enough. It's an old house and a large one at that but I thought i cleaned it up nicely.

Then our family came home, my parents went mad when they saw the state of the plant life. Turns out that we'd been using far too little water, only about 1/6th. My sister was woken up by their arrival and there was no food ready for them. As well as the house not being nearly as clean as i thought it was.

I really thought i did a good job as master of the house, it was barely 10 days but apparently that was enough to kill several plants that my parents tended to for years. I also didn't realise how much work goes into actually keeping a home clean, it's a lot larger than a dorm. You don't really have to worry about people not leaving their stuff out at my place in college so i never even considered the fact that there might be milk spoiling somewhere in the kitchen i barely use.

A lot of it can be tied back to my sister, but she's 17, she isn't old enough to worry about all these things, but i'm not a teen anymore, yet i allowed this house i grew up in to be in such a bad state my mother was in tears & my father was at a loss for words.

TL;DR: Living in a house isn't like living in a dorm & i'm too stupid to keep my sister in check.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...