Skip to main content

TIFU by proofreading a fanfiction

this wasn’t technically today, it was yesterday, but i write fanfiction & i’m also in university at the same time.

so, my university has a proofreader and a coding program built into one (claims to be powered by grammarly for the proofreading, claude for the code) & last night, i finished my fanfiction & decided to pop it into the proofreader for spellcheck & other things. i was not purposely engaging with the coding component whatsoever.

apparently though, the entire program ISNT powered by grammarly anymore & completely merged with claude (i didn’t know this) until i upload the draft, with the file name and all, and i got an error code saying it couldn’t be processed due to “copyright violation” since it’s RPF (real person fiction) & to try again. so, i try again but i changed the names in the fiction to avoid that (perro, conejito & oso were what i changed the names to) & i was immediately met with a very long warning about “purposely attempting to bypass administrative laws”, then the application closed out.

this morning, i got a call from my university saying that i was flagged as “violating the student acceptable internet usage policy” because i had triggered claude, which i didn’t even know was being fully integrated & the fic has to be manually seen by the dean of students since i filed an appeal.

TLDR; i used a school authorized proofreader to scan an RPF fanfiction, the proofreader has strict AI guardrails & now my school has to read my fanfiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...