Skip to main content

TIFU by talking shit about a client while my AI notetaker was still recording

My boss slacked me a screenshot this afternoon with just a question mark under it, and I knew right away exactly what I'd done.

For context, I use one of those AI notetakers that sit in on your calls and email out a summary the moment you hang up, and a while back I turned on a setting to have it send that summary automatically to everyone on the invite, then forgot the setting even existed like an idiot.

So this morning we get on a call with a client who's been, to put it kindly, high-maintenance.

In the couple of minutes before they joined, my 2 coworkers and I were venting the way you do when you think it's just you…

One of us saying the account was going to churn anyway and another saying we'd padded the timeline because this client never approves anything on the first try, then they joined and we were perfectly pleasant to their face, had a totally normal call, and all hung up thinking everything was fine.

And the notetaker did what it was built to do, it recorded the whole call including those couple of minutes before the client joined, then turned the lot into a summary and emailed it to everyone on the invite, the client included.

I didn't find out until my boss's question mark landed, by which point the client had already replied to all of us asking, word for word, what "padded the timeline" was supposed to mean, with the whole BuildBetter summary quoted right there underneath.

My whole afternoon's gone to damage-control calls, the account's now 2 levels above me, and I've switched off every automation I own since, even a few that never did anything wrong, because I don't trust myself with a checkbox anymore.

The tool did nothing wrong, it did exactly what I set it up to do, and I'm the genius who armed it a year ago and walked away.

TL;DR: left auto-send on for my AI meeting notes, forgot about it, and it emailed a difficult client the 2 minutes of us trashing them right before they joined the call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...