Skip to main content

TIFU by talking too much about someone's marriage

A couple of months ago, a close friend, who I considered like a sister, asked me to babysit her children for several weeks all of a sudden because her husband had left the family home. At the time, she was emotional and didn't know whether he was coming back every day and she thought about divorcing him.During that period, I told my parents about what was happening because I was upset and processing everything. I also remember telling two friends. I honestly don't remember every conversation I had during those weeks, and it's possible I mentioned it to other people, but I genuinely don't know remember since it was months ago.

Her husband returned after 2½ weeks, and today she confronted me. She said I told many people at our commity that her husband had left her and was never coming back. I told people who were wondering where the husband was that he was in german (like she said) with his family but I also told some people the truth but can't honestly say with certainty who I spoke to during that time.I tried explaining that I didn't intentionally spread gossip, and I apologized. At one point I even got on my knees because I didn't want to lose the friendship. She told me not to "make a drama" out of it and said she never wants me near her family ever again. My parents got to know about it due to seeing me cry about it and I told them what happened.

Later, her father called me after my father and him spoke. He apologized for how the conversation and situation was handled and said he hopes we can become friends again someday but I doubt it. I've realized I probably shouldn't have discussed such a private family matter at all, and I want to change that about myself. At the same time, I feel devastated because this was someone I considered family, and now I feel completely rejected, because I ruined the whole family just by talking.

TL;DR:
I shared private details about a close friend's marriage during a difficult time, deeply hurt her trust, lost our friendship despite apologizing, and am now trying to come to terms with the consequences of my mistake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...

TIFU by selling a pair of nightstands with a bottle of lube…

Title. This past weekend, I sold a pair of “BRIMNES” nightstands (via Facebook marketplace) that I’d previously picked up from IKEA years back. Girlfriend and I were selling them to be replaced by a more thematically appropriate pair. Anyway, prior to selling them off, mine respectively was used to hold a bunch of miscellaneous shit: Papers, art supplies, and of course: This bottle of Trojan lube for accessibility purposes, and as such it remained even after being cleaned out for sale. I figured why not? It can stay in there until they’re sold. It’s also worth noting that I never attached the wheels to either stand and opted instead to keep them in their provided drawers. As a result, whenever I moved them, I’d hear a gentle ‘thud’ that I assumed was the collectively packaged wheels shifting. So, day comes for pickup, I load them into the buyer’s car and she drives off. No problem. I offered for her to test the drawers beforehand but she voiced her good faith in my ad details and...