Skip to main content

TIFU by uploading my private 'roast' notes about coworkers to the company shared drive

This is peak me energy and entirely my fault. I was helping a friend prepare for a small, private roast we were doing at a weekend party. I wrote a bunch of dumb, exaggerated jokes about everything from my friend Ben's addiction to terrible coffee to my manager's obsession with color-coordinated spreadsheets. All of it was meant to be playful and was stored in a file named something like "Team Roast - Final.docx" on my laptop.

Fast forward to yesterday: I was cleaning up my cluttered Google Drive between meetings and decided to consolidate things. I opened the folder structure, saw a folder called "Projects - Shared" and because I was half paying attention and sprinting to my next meeting, I dragged the roast file into that folder instead of my personal folder. I realized what I did about five minutes later when I saw the little blue preview pop up in the Drive activity feed that shows who opened what. One of my coworkers had clicked it out of curiosity and left a laughing reaction.

Before I could yank it back, my manager had also clicked. He pinged me in chat asking if I wanted to talk. I knew what was coming, so I owned it immediately in the meeting: explained it was for a private roast, apologized for the poor judgment of keeping identifiable jokes, and offered to delete the file and apologize to anyone I had offended. HR asked to sit in on a follow up because some of the jokes crossed a line around personal habits. To their credit, my team mostly laughed, Ben took it like a champ after I explained context, but HR made me sit through a short retraining on professional conduct and file handling. I also had to write a short note to the team apologizing for my lapse in judgment and accidentally sharing private material in a public workspace.

So yeah, the immediate damage was more embarrassment and an awkward HR box checked than any real fallout, but I feel like an idiot. I could have avoided the whole thing by double checking where I was dragging files, or by keeping roast notes in an offline notepad until the joke was delivered. Also, naming a private joke file with "Team" in the title was not my brightest move.

TL;DR: I accidentally uploaded private roast notes that named coworkers to a company shared drive, my manager and coworkers saw it, HR made me do retraining, and I had to apologize. Entirely my fault for sloppy file management and terrible naming choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...