Skip to main content

TIFU for falling for my older brother's friend

I'm a 25F grad student who's usually way too busy between my master's program and working at Starbucks to think about dating. My older brother "Dan" (34M) has a friend ("Brody," 29M) who's been around my extended family for about 10 years. We're not related by blood—our families are only connected through marriage. We were both on my little cousin's graduation trip for a long weekend. I almost didn't even go because of school, but my schedule cleared at the last minute. You see, even though I know Brody too, my brother is way closer to him. They've gone on trips together, they watch soccer games together. However, Dan didn't come on this trip so it was a lot of my cousins, and Brody and I. No Dan.

Over the five days I was there, Buddy kept sitting next to me, joking around with me, remembering random details about me from months ago that I didn't even know he'd noticed, asking about school, giving me drinks, offering me his seat, reviving inside jokes, hugging me, complimenting me, and generally making me laugh. We had one long conversation where he told me his girlfriend had cheated on him a few weeks earlier, and I may have accidentally told him I thought he was "very good looking and charismatic." He hugged me when I told him that. It clearly touched him. And then he asked me if I was seeing anyone after. And he was just there smiling.

Two weeks after I got home, requested him on Instagram... and it's still sitting there pending. It's been nearly a week and he posted in the vacation group chat (which has been dormant for weeks now) a video of him and Dan at some bar.

TL;DR: Went on a family vacation, reconnected with my older brother's longtime friend, realized my teenage crush came back in full force after five days of joking around and talking, sent him an Instagram request afterward, it's still pending, and now I'm questioning every interaction we had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...