Skip to main content

TIFU Not Returning The Second Pair Of The Physical Key To The Hotel Guesthouse In Italy

On 22 June 2026, I (25M) arrived in Napoli after an 8 hour train ride from Pisa (using the Regionale trains) with two layovers in Rome (Roma Ostiense and Roma Termini). I booked a very decent and highly rated guesthouse on Booking.com. When I arrived, I was greeted with a lockbox, with my hotel key in it. I followed the instructions and retrieved my hotel key packet, which includes the keys for the portoni (front doors to enter the apartment complex), the keys to enter the guesthouse lobby (on the 5th floor (6th floor if you are American)), and the keys to enter the private hotel room with a private bath (there are two rooms in the guesthouse).

However, popular to Italian stereotypes, the portoni is notoriously tricky to enter and exit. I tried following the directions of the B&B owner, but my entry keys (regardless of me trying) don't properly work, so I effectively asked a resident leaving the property to kindly grant me entry, and they did. Luckily, opening the guesthouse lobby doors and private hotel room doors are rudimentary and I could unlock these doors in a heartbeat.

Adjacent to my B&B room, there is a second key hanging just outside in the hotel lobby that only grants you access to the portoni (front doors of the apartment complex) and guesthouse lobby, so it is less equipped than the first key which grants access to the portoni, the guesthouse lobby, and the hotel room.

On 23 June 2026, I was hanging out in Napoli, but because getting out of the apartment complex requires you to unlock using the key, I have to use the keys to get out. I had trouble with it despite following the directions as the portoni doors are notoriously stiff, so it took me 5 minutes of repeated twisting (multiple attempts) just to get out.

On 24 June 2026, because I knew the outer doors are notoriously hard to enter and exit, I brought down two keys (the first pair, which includes the portoni, the guesthouse lobby keys, and the hotel room keys, and the second pair, which only includes the former two). Given the time constraints as I had 30 minutes before the Flixbus from Napoli Centrale to Roma Anagnina leaves and walking from the guesthouse to the bus station commands a 15 minute walk, I left the first pair (which includes the entrance to the apartment via the portoni, the entrance to the guesthouse lobby, and the entrance to the hotel room) in the key box, but unfortunately, that was all the keybox could fit. Because of time constraints and me being unnecessarily stressed out (to make matters worse, I was kinda burnt out after a months long Europe trip, especially with the 35+ degree C temps), I accidentally took the second pair with me (which includes the portoni keys and guesthouse lobby keys) and realized it when I was already at the Flixbus heading for Roma Anagnina 10 minutes in.

I apologised to the B&B owner and luckily, they told me to send it to a Poste Italiane. Luckily, even though I didn't have a bubbled envelope, the closest Poste Italiane to my accommodations was not crowded and I was able to secure a spot almost immediately after entering. Luckily, the Poste Italiane facility is a 3 minute walk from the Felice Spesa, a store which sold exactly what I needed to send the mail. I bought the bubbled envelope, added the "Destinatario" address as the exact address of what the B&B guesthouse owner showed in Napoli and added the Mittente address with my name and my Roma B&B guesthouse accommodations address.

I sent the key as well as the envelope to the Poste Italiane employee on 24 June 2026 and paid a little less than 10 Euros to send it.

Yet, today is 20 July 2026, and it has been 3 weeks since I returned to the US (I returned home on 27 June 2026). A few hours ago, despite the fact I sent the second pair of the physical keys exactly to the address provided on the WhatsApp by the B&B guesthouse owner, they now claim it is "never delivered". I don't know what to say. I am paranoid they may fine me an exorbitant amount of money or press criminal charges against me, but they definitely know the keybox code for the hotel, know that my hotel room keybox is in the left (in fact, that was one of their earliest messages), and the keybox does contain the entryway to the portoni, the guesthouse lobby, and the hotel room, more than what the second pair (the pair I accidentally forgot to return but then mailed back to Napoli) included.

TL;DR: I accidentally forgot to return the second key pair (the keys to the front apartment door and the guesthouse lobby) and even though I mailed it to the exact address the B&B guesthouse owner provided, they claimed it never arrived. I did return the first pair to the keybox, which includes the keys to the front apartment door, the guesthouse lobby, and the hotel room. The second pair is the "backup" keys, and that was what I forgot to return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...