Skip to main content

TIFU using the love seat

I convinced my father to go watch The Odyssey with me. What I expected to be a wholesome father son bonding experience ended up being an awkward situation that became nightmare fuel. My fuck up was set in motion the moment my dad and I arrived at the cinema and realised The Odyssey was almost sold out. It was opening weekend. I should've booked online in advance, but it was the first screening of the day and I thought not many people were gonna show up for the earliest show. I was wrong.

Limited seats were available. My dad and I had one of two choices. Choice number 1. We select any of the normal seats available, but then we would not be sitting together. Choice number 2. We select the "love seat", which is basically two seats merged into one so that couples can sit as close to each other as possible. My dad opted for the love seat instead of the random seats that would separate us. Before I could even think of suggesting anything else, my dad said if I was worried about what strangers might think, then I should stop because no one was gonna pay any attention to us.

Cut to my dad and I awkwardly moving down a crowded row. My dad was leading the way. We were repeatedly saying "excuse me" or "sorry" because people had to make space for us to pass. Would my dad not interrupt his own "sorry excuse me" to ask a random girl if the available seat next to her was the seat reserved for couples. The girl looked confused at first, but then she nodded. My dad turned to me and said FOUND THE LOVE SEAT. I was practically hiding my face behind my popcorn at that moment. As my dad and I sat down, he thanked the girl for assisting him and then he decided to specifically introduce me as his son, which would've been fine if that was where it ended.

However, my dad thought it would be funny to tell the girl how afraid I was that people were gonna think we were together. I could tell the girl was caught off guard by the continuation of the conversation, but she was kind enough to at least pretend she cared. My dad attempted to include me in the conversation by encouraging me to repeat the word I used earlier when the two of us were still debating the love seat situation. I refused to repeat the word, but my dad kept asking until I finally said TWINK DAD TWINK. My dad snapped his fingers like he just heard me say something that was on the tip of his tongue before he made it clear to the girl that even though were sitting where couples usually sit, we were not "twinking."

I interrupted my dad and made him aware that he might be bothering the girl. My dad apologised and left the girl alone. I thought the worst was over until my dad leaned in during the movie and quietly asked if it was "twinking" if a father wanted to put his arm around the shoulder of his son in the love seat. I said the word was "twink" and he was using it wrong. But... I was okay with my dad putting his arm around my shoulder. Not gonna lie, the experience was somewhat embarrassing, but I still appreciated spending time with my dad. Anyway, not the craziest fuck up compared to what I've seen on here, but it definitely had moments I wished never happened lol.

Tl:dr Went to the movies with my dad. Didn't book seats in advance. Limited seats were available. Specifically, the love seat, which is meant for couples. My dad and I were forced to use the love seat, which prompted him to tell the random person next to us how uncomfortable I was and how the two of us were not twinks, or as he put it, "twinking."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by making a joke that landed horribly

I was talking to someone and thought I was being funny, but the second the words left my mouth I knew I had messed up. It was one of those jokes that sounds fine in your head and then just dies completely in real life. Nobody laughed, the mood got awkward instantly, and I could feel my face getting hot because I knew I had just made everything weird for no reason. What made it worse is that I tried to recover from it instead of just shutting up. So then I started talking more, which only made it more obvious that I was panicking. You know that feeling when you can hear yourself getting worse while it’s happening and you still can’t stop? yeah, that was me. I kept trying to act normal, but the whole thing was already gone. After that I just wanted to disappear and pretend it never happened. I’m still thinking about it way more than I should, which somehow makes it even more embarrassing. I really should have just kept my mouth shut for once. TL;DR: I tried to be funny and the joke...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...

TIFU by selling a pair of nightstands with a bottle of lube…

Title. This past weekend, I sold a pair of “BRIMNES” nightstands (via Facebook marketplace) that I’d previously picked up from IKEA years back. Girlfriend and I were selling them to be replaced by a more thematically appropriate pair. Anyway, prior to selling them off, mine respectively was used to hold a bunch of miscellaneous shit: Papers, art supplies, and of course: This bottle of Trojan lube for accessibility purposes, and as such it remained even after being cleaned out for sale. I figured why not? It can stay in there until they’re sold. It’s also worth noting that I never attached the wheels to either stand and opted instead to keep them in their provided drawers. As a result, whenever I moved them, I’d hear a gentle ‘thud’ that I assumed was the collectively packaged wheels shifting. So, day comes for pickup, I load them into the buyer’s car and she drives off. No problem. I offered for her to test the drawers beforehand but she voiced her good faith in my ad details and...