- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I had a meeting with a client today, it was at the customer premises and I had not met this customer in person before. This company is a huge account for my work and my senior management made a very big deal about it needing to be handled by a manager rather than one of the BDMs who would normally be in charge of it.
(This was mistake number one, why on earth would they send someone who hasn’t seen a customer in person or actually made any sales for at least the last 5 years over someone who does this day in and out, and probably does it far better than anyone in the management team ever could?!)
The meeting goes fine and while sat in his office wrapping the paperwork up, I spot a photo on his desk and the demon that’s apparently running my brain, prompts me to comment “aww, what a lovely picture, is that you and your father?” Mistake two
He looks me dead in the eyes and in the most scathing voice says “that’s my wife”.
I immediately lost the ability to act like a normal person and instead of apologising and blaming my eyesight, I fucking reply with “right-oh, very good“ like im a posh police officer from the 1960s- I’ve never in my life used that phrase before today.
Then having failed at making small talk, as soon as he was done I muttered “thanks for having me” gave up on trying to look at all professional, snatched up my files and scuttled out of the building
Currently trying to think of plausible reasons to palm this account off on one of my staff.
TL;DR Complimented a customer’s picture of his father, turned out to be his wife. Have a suspicion that this is the last time he’s going to give us his business.
Comments
Post a Comment