- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This happened earlier today and I am still cringing every time I hear my phone buzz.
I’ve been having some minor issues with my car lately, so I was on the phone with my mechanic trying to explain a weird noise coming from under the dashboard. He’s a super blunt, quiet guy in his late 50s who does great work but strictly keeps things professional.
While I was on the phone with him describing the noise, my dog suddenly tried to bolt out the open front door chasing a bird.
In absolute panic mode, I lunged forward to grab the collar, missed, dropped my car registration papers, and yelled into the phone:
"NO BABE WAIT STOP!"
Dead silence on the other end of the line.
I realized immediately what I’d done. My brain had scrambled my panic reaction to the dog with the fact that I was actively talking to someone on the phone, and my default "panicked affectionately at a pet" brain tapped into "babe."
Before I could clarify, he cleared his throat and went: "Uh... so is the sound coming from the left side or...?"
Instead of just saying "Sorry, I was yelling at my dog!", my brain completely froze. I panicked AGAIN and decided to try to blend it in naturally by talking super fast:
"Right! Sorry! Yeah, babe I mean, basic issue seems to be on the left side!"
I doubled down. I tried to mask "babe" into "basic" and made it sound 100 times worse, like I was trying to cover up a nickname.
He quickly gave me a quote, said "See you tomorrow," and hung up faster than he ever has before. Now I have to drop my car off at his shop in the morning and I'm seriously considering wearing a mask and dark sunglasses.
TL;DR: Yelled at my dog while on the phone with my very stern mechanic, accidentally called him "babe", froze up, and tried to cover it up by saying "babe-ic", making it sound like I was flirting.
Comments
Post a Comment