- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
A couple years back, a dog that I (m37) had raised and lived with for fifteen years passed away. She had a good and long life, I’d had her since she was two, but it was still a really hard time. I’m gay which would normally not be relevant to my pets or my grief but is relevant to this story so saying it now.
Anyway, Layla (my dog) had been a whippet and beagle mix and maybe a week after she died I was out in a public park and I saw a young woman walking a whippet, who looked similar to Layla but skinnier and taller. Without thinking I said (to the dog), “Hello there beautiful” at which point the woman walking the dog started walking away, a very reasonable response to a complete stranger with blue hair saying this.
But this is where I fucked up, because I tried to explain myself in a moment of panic, as catcalling is a thing a lot of my friends who are women have told me is really unpleasant to experience and I didn’t want to make someone uncomfortable in public in that way. So in my panic I tried to say “I would never catcall” and “I meant your dog was beautiful” at the same time. And what came out was “Oh, I would never call you beautiful.” At which point this young woman walked away more quickly and I realized I just had to let this one go.
I’ve seen this woman around the neighborhood since and have not approached her, for obvious reasons. I think I’m just gonna have to live with this person thinking I’m a creepy straight dude who’s also kind of a dick.
TL;DR: When I saw a dog who looked similar to the dog I had, had who just passed away, I tried talking to said dog and instead was super creepy to the poor woman just trying to walk her pet.
Comments
Post a Comment