- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I feel absolutely awful and am a huge hypocrite for this. My aunt and cousin say I'm not at fault, but I'm not convinced of that.
I live with my aunt, cousin and sister in a gated apartment complex. In this apartment complex live a lot of families with young kids in school and retired couples, so there arent a lot of dogs there. I've only seem two other dogs, one I've seen in passing when walking Max(my aunts dog) and the other is Rosy whom we know very well and are friends with her owner. We've lived there for 3 years and have only seen these dogs out during the day.
Its around 12:30 at night and I need to get something from my sisters car, so I let Max follow me so I'm not walking out alone at night and so he can pee before bed. This is where I fucked up, I let him go off leash. I didn't think much of it because we've done it before and know that most people are alseep by now and even those who arent know Max and and are happy to let him prance up to say hi.
What I didn't know is that a woman had moved in recently with what I believe is a great pyrenees mix. I say I believe that is the breed because it looks exacrly like the dog of another aunt of mine, whom has a ranch with chickens and goats.
Max runs over to them before I can grab him and the other dog bites the scruff his neck and will not let go. A few neighbors and my aunt comes out to help us separate them. One neighbor grabs the dog by the tail and lifts him off the ground, but he still won't let go. We get them apart somehow and my cousin takes me away while my aunt stays to deal with Max and the other woman. Max has a small wound on his neck, but is otherwise fine, but feel terrible because I scared that woman and her dog and Max got hurt in the process. I could have prevented it if I just left Max inside, or got him on a leash before going out.
Apparently something similar happened with my cousin, but the dog had a mussle on that time so he couldn't bite Max. My aunt tried to tell me that the other woman is at fault because if that had been a small child that ran up to the dog it would be a different story, but truly the entire situation could have been prevented if I took a second to get his leash or left him inside. I hope I get the opportunity to see the woman again and sincerely apologize for what happened. I've always said that whether or not a dog is friendly they should be on a leash for their and everyone else's protection, and I was a huge hypocrite for not sticking to that belief tonight.
TL;DR I let my aunts dog out off leash and he got attacked by another dog.
Comments
Post a Comment