- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
TIFU by misreading the room with a group of classmates and getting a severe reality check at 5:48 AM
This actually happened yesterday afternoon, but I’m dealing with the fallout today.
My main group of friends had already left for the day, and I still had some time to kill on campus. I saw a group of female classmates sitting together, and since I genuinely just wanted to socialize and expand my social circle, I decided to walk over, sit down, and join their conversation.
I thought everything was going totally fine. We were chatting, I asked them a few casual questions (including how they did on our recent school grades/exams to keep the conversation going), and from my perspective, we were all having a pretty solid, friendly time. I left feeling like I’d made a good effort to connect with people outside my usual crowd.
Fast forward to 5:48 AM this morning. My alarm hasn't even gone off yet, and I wake up to a direct message from one of the girls in that group.
She essentially dropped a wall of text letting me know that my attempt to join them actually made her and her friends super uncomfortable. She specifically mentioned that asking about their grades was awkward, that me sitting near them felt intrusive, and that if I had any intentions of getting close to her or her group, she had zero interest. She finished it off by asking me to keep everything strictly about school from now on.
I was hit with total emotional bomb (and that's being generous). I was acting in 100% good faith with zero weird or predatory intentions, so finding out that my presence was read as intrusive and creepy stung pretty badly. If I had caught even a single hint of discomfort yesterday, I would have apologized and walked away right then and there
I didn't argue. I replied owning up to it, told her I had no bad intent, apologized for making her feel uncomfortable, and agreed to keep things strictly academic. Right after that, I archived our chat, noticed she unfollowed me on social media, unfollowed her back to match her energy, and now I'm just sitting here at 6 AM realizing I completely misread a room and turned a normal Tuesday into an awkward social nightmare.
TL;DR: Tried to be friendly and join a group of female classmates when my main friends left campus, thought we had a fun time, woke up at 5:48 AM to a text letting me know I made everyone uncomfortable and to never try getting close to them again
I AM SO STUPID
Comments
Post a Comment