Skip to main content

TIFU by accidentally CCing the entire company to escalate a locked laptop.

Obligatory this happened today, and I am currently sitting on my couch on a Friday night questioning all my life choices.

​For context, I’m an intern. For the past few weeks, I’ve been dealing with a minor, non-blocking IT issue on my work laptop. After weeks of getting bounced around different support agents, IT remoted in today to try a new fix.

​Whatever they did catastrophically failed. I was suddenly completely locked out of my machine. I called local IT, and they told me they couldn't fix it until next week, meaning I couldn't do any work for the next four days.

​Enter the panic. I'm an intern, I want to prove myself, and being totally blocked from working stressed me out.

​I decided to write an urgent escalation email to the IT management team. I wanted to keep a paper trail, so I started typing my company's name into the CC bar, clicked the first suggested group that popped up, and hit send.

​Almost immediately, an IT admin pinged me: "Do not send company-wide emails."

​My stomach dropped. I had accidentally CC'd the global distribution list.

​Before I could even process what I had done, the Managing Director of the company replied to the thread. I genuinely thought I was going to be fired on the spot.

​I scrambled to log into webmail on my phone to use the Outlook "Recall" feature. I downloaded the recall report and was refreshing it like a maniac. people had opened and read my panicked intern email before the system yanked it back out of their inboxes.

​I sent a deeply mortified apology directly to the MD and my manager, updated my ticketing portal, and completely shut down my phone. I know people say everyone makes this mistake once in their career, but doing it as an intern while your laptop is bricked feels like a special kind of nightmare.

​Please tell me someone else has done this and survived

TL;DR: IT completely locked me out of my work laptop. In my panic to escalate it so I could do my job, I accidentally emailed the entire company, got a reply from the MD, and people read my meltdown before I could recall it..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by taking my cat to the vet an hour and a half away.

So, I had to take my cat to the vet to get neutered and decided to schedule an appointment at a vet that was close to my brother so I could spend some time with him. I frequently drive with my cat so he is pretty tame but I have never taken him for that length of time before so I put him in his kennel. The drive was going great no issues. UNTIL I was maybe 20 minutes away from the vet. I was listening to music and I started to smell something awful. At first I thought maybe I was driving by cows or some kind of animal until I look over and see my cat walking in circles with poop all over him. It was disgusting I didn’t know what to do so I rolled the windows down to try and breath through the stench. I was able to pull over for a second and took the top layer of the pee pad out of the kennel so I could get rid of some of the smell. I continued on my way to the vet and about 2 minutes away from getting there he does it again. The issue here is I guess I didn’t close the kennel all the ...