Skip to main content

TIFU by lying to my friend aka my roommate

TIFU by killing Nana

So let me set the scene. It's early morning and I'm making breakfast in the kitchen for my toddler, making lunches for my older kids to take school, the pets are running around, my teenage daughter is teenage daughtering (iykyk) and life be lifing.

It's the usual morning chaos happening and I get a text message from my partner. I'm busy so I just skim over it and look for important keys words. I read "Nana passed away this morning. I'll fly straigh out from work at the end of the week to the funeral."

So naturally, I'm like, oh my gosh, his Nana has passed away. I immediately spend about 10 minutes writing him a loving condolence message, letting him know I'll be there to support him, that I love him, all the usual heartfelt stuff.

Then I think, I better message my father-in-law. So another lovely condolence message. Lots of love, lots of support. Very sincere.

Then I message my entire familyincluding my teeangers who have since left to go to school, to let them know that Rob's Nana has passed away and ask them if they could please send him and dad-in-law a message of condolences.

I am now fully committed to being supportive and this funeral that apparently exists.

Then my phone rings, it's my partner. He always calls in the morning to say good morning. For context he works away for a week at time and comes home for a week so lots of texts and calls. I answer, "Hey babe, are you okay? How are you feeling? I'mso sorry about Nana."

And he says, "Babe, it was a dream."

Excuse me?!!! Apparently, he was telling me about a dream he had where his Nana had passed away and he had to fly straight from work to her funeral. I had skimmed the message so aggressively amid the life be lifing and teenager teenagering chaos that I apparently removed the crucial information that none of this actually happened.

So my poor father-in-law who is retired, older, and a complete night owl is going to wake up whenever he wakes up, to a text from me expressing my deepest condolences on the death of his mother. A death he isn't even aware of, because she is still alive and walking framing, because ain't no kicking happening at 90yrs old.

Followed by another message saying, "When you're ready to talk, I'll give you a call." And then... "I'm really sorry. Big fuck up on my part. It was a dream Rob had. I thought Nana had passed away." I have accidentally informed an entire family that a woman is gone when she is, in fact, very much alive.

My family think this is very funny. I do not.

TL;DR

So TIFU by accidentally announcing Nana’s passing away to the family while she is still alive and well. The only thing I actually killed today was my own dignity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass