Skip to main content

TIFU by not knowing what “sybau” meant

Never felt older in my life. Me (late 20sF) and my two friends J and A (30sF) were talking in our group chat about Halloween plans. We go to this event every year, and the tickets just released.

J pointed out prices increased quite a bit this year.

I responded and said I haven’t even figured out what I’m going to be. And I ended that message with “Sybau.”

Now, I consider myself to be chronically online. I pride myself on being on top of the latest references, pop culture trends, etc. And as the youngest in our trio, it usually falls on me to explain some of the younger references to my friends.

Not in this case.

Guys, the entire time I’ve seen this word, the hundreds of comments I’ve seen using it, I’ve always thought it was a made up word. Like skibidi. Just gibberish that meant “boohoo” or something along those lines. And I said it in my message directing it at myself. Like, “I haven’t even figured out what I’m going to be. Boohoo. Woe is me.”

For context, J and I just had a long conversation days ago about prioritizing kindness and building each other up in our friend group. We had just cleared the air on a few things and agreed to cool it on certain jokes and language that were derogatory in nature, even if they were jokes. It was a great, vulnerable conversation, and I left it feeling confident we were on the same page.

Well, shortly after I sent the message, I’m cruising away at work, happy as a clam. Oblivious. Unencumbered. Until J messaged me off the group chat. She said she didn’t find it funny or conducive to the conversation we just had that she was upset prices were so expensive and I responded with sybau. I immediately tried to clear it up and tell her that I was, in fact, talking to myself. Cue this message:

“You were telling yourself to shut your bitch ass up?”

I-

You know that scene in Saving Private Ryan where young Matt Damon is looking down at the camera and turns into a decrepit old man right before our eyes? Comparable.

For months. For months I’ve been using this not knowing what it meant. I confidently explained it to my older coworker who said she was going to start using it with her kids. I said it to my partner. My friends. My dog.

I managed to explain this to J, who immediately understood and thought it was hilarious. Yay for immediate communication??

Lesson learned. I’m old and overconfident. Luckily my friends love me anyways.

TL;DR insulted my best friend on accident due to overconfidence in my online presence. Sybau.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass