Skip to main content

TIFU by proving to my partner she is 12 Kg heavier than she believed

To give some context to the title,

My partner gave birth to our son about five months ago and has put on some weight during the pregnancy. Completely normal and she still looks fantastic.

Last weekend we were out in the city for my sister’s birthday and she tells me (proudly) she has lost weight and is now down to about 76 Kg. However I saw her on the scale a week prior and I knew for a fact that was impossible. Because when I last saw her weigh herself it was around 88 Kg. And I would know of she’d lose 12 Kg in the span of a week because that would just be unnaturally healthy.

So I told her “you’re off by 10 right?”. She seemed genuinely surprised. She was certain she had lost the weight because she went on the scale that morning. (She was also feeling great about it and herself). But I decided to rain on her parade and tell her she was probably wrong and it would have been almost impossible for her to lose that much weight in a week. We drank and ate like usual.. didn’t run any ultramarathons.. It simply didn’t add up. She eventually said something among the lines of “okay maybe I was mistaken? But I was pretty certain”. We left it at that and went about our day.

Fast forward to today, we are cooking dinner together (our bathroom is close to our kitchen), during some of the downtime while waiting for a pan to heat I hear a sound coming from the bathroom “Come take a look for a second”. So I walk over and I see her standing on the scale, proudly pointing at her 77 Kg “SEE I do weigh this much”.

Me being me (you could say I am slightly autistic) immediately start thinking of a logical explanation.. for a moment I even doubt myself.. was I just.. mean and ignorant..? Did she really lose THAT much weight so quickly without me seeing such a drastic change in her appearance? Was she holding down like 10 Kg worth of water weight?

But then I noticed something.. when she was off the scale.. it wasn’t truly level.. like one corner of the scale seemed elevated compared to the other ones.. and so I get this hypothesis the scale is underreporting her weight because it isn’t truly level.. to test it I get on the scale myself and I am magically down 10 Kg! So I pick up the scale, flip it over, check underneath.. clean the standing legs (some dirt was trapped one of the four legs probably causing the elevation) and I weigh myself again. The 10 kg were back as quickly as I had lost them.. and I shout out to the kitchen “ready to have your dreams crushed?”. She goes on the scale, 89 Kg, a brutal reality check.

I was right. But it didn’t feel good, not this time. In hindsight, I should have probably delivered the news in a softer and gentler way.. I wanted to be right, I wanted to put a dot at the end of the discussion we had last weekend.. but I think she genuinely believed she lost weight and she was feeling so good about herself and I ruined it by wanting to be right

She said something along the lines of “should have probably let me live in my delusional a little bit longer”.

So yeah guys, if your girl is proud she lost weight just be happy for her dudes. Don’t go looking for what might be wrong with the scale just to prove her wrong. In the end to live healthy it is important your scale works correctly and you should probably let them know something might have been wrong with the scale.. but uhm do it gently. Maybe casually mention you noticed your weight was impossibly low and you believed for a minute you had lost some weight.. but the batteries were just low and after replacing them it showed a more accurate measurement.. or make up a story about calibration or something.

Tldr: partner thought she lost ~12 Kg in a week, I argued it wasn’t possible. She proved it on the scale and I went looking for what was possibly wrong with the scale only to find out it wasn’t completely level and she hadn’t actually lost any weight. And I kinda threw that in her face like “hah I’m right!”. Don’t be like me, you can do better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...