- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
My family has been clearing out my grandma's house and we found a box of old cassette tapes. Most were unlabeled, but one had my grandparents' wedding date written on it.
I offered to digitize everything and borrowed an old dual cassette deck from a friend since he had one sitting around. Before transferring anything to my computer, I figured I should make a physical backup of the important tape first, just in case something went wrong.
I put a blank cassette in Deck 1 and the wedding tape in Deck 2. For some reason I had convinced myself Deck 2 was the source.
It wasn't.
I hit the dubbing button and walked away.
About 25 minutes later I came back and realized Deck 2 was the recording deck. I'd been recording the blank cassette over the original wedding tape.
That section apparently had my grandfather giving a speech and my grandma's dad talking. Both of them have been gone for years.
My mom isn't angry, which somehow makes it worse. She just got quiet when I told her and asked if any of it could be recovered.
From everything I've found, no.
The cassette still had its record tabs intact, so the deck had no reason to stop me from doing something this stupid.
I'd saved some money for the digitizing setup and thought I was being extra careful by making a backup first. Instead I damaged the one recording everyone actually cared about before I even got to the computer.
TLDR: Borrowed a dual cassette deck from a friend to make a backup of my grandparents' wedding tape before digitizing it, put the original in the recording deck by mistake, and recorded about 25 minutes of silence over it.
Comments
Post a Comment