Skip to main content

TIFU by saying "I Love You" when ending a call with a long time client

For some context, I work in a kind of obscure National Account Sales Management type of role. I have a short list of clients that I've worked with for several years where a lot of my conversations are pretty informal.

This morning, one of my long-term clients threw a meeting on my calendar at 7:15am last night, and I start at 7 am. I usually do admin stuff until about 8 and it takes me a little bit to get up and running. I was in absolute cruise control this morning.

The specific person who I was meeting with is named Amelia and I've met her numerous times over the past several years, and she is close in age to me. My wife's name is Emilia, and she will regularly call me around 7:20-7:30 before she goes into work. My conversation was very short, and she just had a quick question.

When talking with Amelia, the call was less than three minutes where she just asked me to send her something, and I ended it with "Okay, sounds good... Love you"! She responded with "awh! love you too... but I don't think you mean to say that to me"! in my mind that was generally about the time I say hi to my wife before she walks into the office where I can't really talk to her for most of the day so it was like muscle memory.

She thought it was hilarious, and she has actually met my wife so it was no big deal or anything inappropriate. But... where it went sideways is the fact my VP happened to be listening in on the call (all of our calls are recorded) and then he played the recording in front of 60+ people, including my own team, as a "what not to do" kind of thing. It takes a lot for me to get embarrassed, but I was mortified when he played the whole thing.

TLDR: accidentally said "I love you" to a long-term client who happens to have a very similar name to my wife because I was not focused early in the morning... my VP played the audio clip in front of 60+ people on a conference call because he thought it was funny and wanted to make it a teaching point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...