- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
So my (27M) roommate (23M) was always recommending the Devil May Cry show on Netflix. I was bored and didn't have anything to watch. I stumbled on the show and decided, why not? And honestly? Fantastic show. I was a little scared it was going to take itself very serious and it just doesn't and its great. I was really excited to tell him about it when he got home.
But here's the thing. I really liked the theme song, but not on my first listen. My first listen, I was like, "okay...this is some dumb lame generic anime opening, it sounds so tacky." My second take, I was listening to the actual words and a lot of dumb things stuck out. It talks about "haters" and "hot mamas" and "pimp daddies." And I was just like "who talks like that??" It sounded like a group of 50 year old white men (who's kids are probably no contact) got together in a bored room to make the most markable "punk music" for the kids.
But then, that third listen, after getting the tone of the show, I had an epiphany. The song isn't supposed to be taken serious. It is making fun of punk rock. It is a critique. And maybe I'm a nerd. Maybe that's minute. Maybe I wa- I definitely was high. But that made the song fun for me, that it was this takedown of this genre of music I frankly hate.
So my roommate comes home and I'm all excited to talk to him about the show. And he is so psyched that I like it. We get into a 10 minutes gab fest about all the cool stuff in the show. And I go "oh, and I felt dumb because I didn't get the theme song at first, but that's fucking hilarious!" And he's smiling but he goes "haha....what?" And that's when I explain the whole fact that it's like, a joke punk rock song, so over the top and corny that it's making fun of punk rock.
And his face DROPS.
He goes, "dude, you don't know Limp Bizkit?"
And I tell him I might've heard that name before, but I have no idea who that was. He proceeds to tell me how it is his favorite band. He asks me what's wrong with the song? And it's playing in the background as we get to this point in the conversation, and the song goes "hot mamas! (YEAH!) pimp daddies! (YEAH!)" and I just say "WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?"
He looks really sad and just goes "that's like... my favorite song...it's my pump up song, it helps me lock in." And then it hits me what I just did. Imagine someone tells you that your favorite song, the one you use to get motivated and inspired, sounds like the fakest corniest stuff imaginable.
He hasn't wanted to talk about the show anymore :( think I'll surprise him with some pizza tonight or something and just not acknowledge it lol
TL;DR: thought my friend's favorite song was a joke song making fun of people like him.
Comments
Post a Comment