- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
When I was in Grade 2, my school took part in a drawing competition that schools all across Ontario were participating in.
The assignment was to draw a picture about war that had some kind of meaningful message behind it. Every kid in my class had to participate.
There was just one problem…
I absolutely sucked at drawing.
My older sister was in Grade 4 at the time, and she was insanely good at art. So naturally, 7-year-old me came up with the most logical solution: I asked her to draw the picture for me.
She agreed, and she absolutely crushed it.
I took the drawing to school the next day and handed it in like I had just created a masterpiece myself.
My teacher looked at it and was basically like, “OMG, this is beautiful!” She loved it.
A few months went by and I completely forgot about the competition.
Then one day, my teacher gets up in front of the entire class and announces that I had won…
2nd place in ALL OF ONTARIO.
The entire class starts clapping and congratulating me.
I just stood there accepting the applause like I had personally painted the Mona Lisa.
I didn’t say a word about my sister.
Then Remembrance Day comes around, and somehow this has turned into a much bigger deal than I ever expected.
I’m sitting on a stage at a ceremony with a bunch of important people, receiving a prize, some money and an award for my “amazing” artwork.
Meanwhile, my sister was sitting there watching all of this unfold knowing damn well she was the one who actually drew the picture.
She was absolutely furious.
I don’t blame her either.
Looking back, I still can’t believe I went from “I’m terrible at drawing” to “2nd place in Ontario” without actually improving my drawing skills whatsoever.
“TL;DR:” Best day of my life and the worst day for my sister!
Comments
Post a Comment