Skip to main content

TIFU, Thought I was typing in Chatgpt, was actually in Outlook, replied ALL

I've been at this company for a couple of months, and in that time I have been made project manager of two high profile clients' projects. My boss and boss's boss told me they agreed I was the best person of the group to handle this role, and I've been dedicated to giving it my all.

So dedicated, in fact, that Outlook has become 8 of my 12 tabs on my phone.

So this Saturday, when I wanted to verify "did the supreme court allow trump to use the save act?" And thought I was typing into my already open chatgpt thread, it actually ended up being my Outlook account, and I accidentally replied to ALL of the client's big wigs on an email trail regarding very high level engineering questions..by simply hitting what I thought was the enter button.

Of course my boss, and boss's boss were on the trail too.

I panicked and sent an apology email, then tried unsending my search query

But Outlook can't unsend from people in outside organizations

So 15 high ranking people at the client's company have seen me show my ass

Now I'm certain I'm getting my project management roles taken away. But the real agony is waiting until Monday for the fallout.

Any advice on how to breathe after screwing up the biggest opportunity of your career?

TL;DR Accidentally sent a political search query to an email trail of 20+ people and hit reply ALL. Consequences TBD Monday, help

Update: Thanks to everyone that offered genuine advice and reassurance. Also thank you to those with big boi feelings on my AI use, that gave me a chuckle. My Chatgpt use isn't the villain in this story, just moving too fast and overlooking UI differences. My boss messaged me that he was laughing about it, and said to just be more careful next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...