- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
EDIT: SOLVED I called the tax collectors office and figured out why I had never received the tax bill: the address they had on file was for my previous residence. 🤦🏻♂️ I’m now signed up for a payment plan and have committed to paying on time from now on.
With pressure from my parents and myself wanting to give my family a good home to grow up in I dumped all my savings and inheritance into a house. I remember paying the sales tax when I bought it and anytime I heard ‘property tax’ in conversation I’ve thought ‘well yes I pay property tax, surely the state knows that I own a home and takes it out of my taxes every year, right?’ Wrong! In my county in California you have to look up your address on the county website to get a copy of the years tax bill and then send in a check.
I have never once received any notification/due notice/late notice or anything telling me that I owe anything. So I’ve defaulted on the past 2 years and still owe 4000$ for all of this year. To pay it all off would be like 15000$ at once, and I cannot afford that. I can barely afford the regular 4000$ year with my 40+ hour retail salary.
Whats gonna happen to me? What’s gonna happen to my house? And why didn’t anybody tell me?!
Edit: Yes, my house is fully paid off since 2018 that’s why I owe the last 3 years.
TL;DR I haven’t payed my property tax for 3 years and nobody told me until I found out I owed 15000$
Comments
Post a Comment