- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
The other day my family and I were having a memorial of life party for one of our family members and it was a pretty cold day. My mom had the great idea of getting a fire started in our fire pit but unfortunately, we had no wood split yet this year. So it fell onto me to get enough split for the rest of the part. The only problem is that this was an Irish-American party so I was already three drinks in and being a lightweight I was pretty tipsy. But being the good son I am I didn't let that stop me and got right to work. You may think that this is where the FU is but that is where you would be wrong, it was a bit dicey but I got it split and the party went great.
The FU actually happened today, funnily enough considering that never happens on this sub, when I decided to get ahead on the wood splitting duties so I wasn't left handling a splitting maul while drunk again. I got about a cord split but considering it was American Elm I was having to hit it awful hard with my 12-pound maul. This resulted in the two halves of the log often catapulting themselves across the yard when split.
I had a particularly knarled log that was around 20 inches in diameter that took like 10 wacks to finally split. Unfortunately for me, it didn't split where I wanted it to and a 20+ pound chunk hurtled directly into my shin at Mach 3 knocking me right off my feet. After no small amount of swearing, I managed to get myself up and used the maul as a cane to get to the house about 20 minutes ago.
That brings me up to the present where there is a softball-sized lump and a big cut on my leg. I can still walk on it but with how it is swelling I think it may have fractured my Tibia at least partially. I am going to wait until tomorrow to see if the swelling goes down but this seems like an x-ray type of situation so that is fun. It does not help that my family and I signed up for a walking tour of some local restaurants this weekend, so that will be fun haha. I guess I learned my lesson and will be wearing shin guards from now on if I plan on splitting wood, or just picking up a cheap wood splitter like I should have done in the first place. With how much hospital bills are I probably could have picked up a nice one too but c’est la vie.
TL;DR I smacked my wood and it smacked me back.
Comments
Post a Comment