Skip to main content

TIFU by getting scammed out of my life savings and becoming a big fool

It all started when I got this call from someone claiming to be a senior manager from FedEx. They told me that customs had seized a package going from Mumbai to Bangkok, and apparently, it contained six passports and a few thousand dollars. I was totally lost because, of course, I hadn't sent any package anywhere. But the person on the phone just kept pushing and said my Aadhaar number had been used for this illegal shipment. They threatened me with legal consequences if I didn’t cooperate.

Next thing I know, they told me they were transferring the call to the "cyber police" to verify everything. By this point, I was freaking out. The person pretending to be the cyber police said my bank accounts had been hacked and that more fraud was coming my way unless I acted immediately. The "officer" then said I needed to transfer money to a so-called "alternate account" that supposedly belonged to the Reserve Bank of India to protect my funds. Totally panicked, I went ahead and transferred ₹2 lakh. Then, under more pressure and fear of losing funds, I sent another ₹3 lakh. He then asked me if I had more balance left to which I mentioned I had 2 lakhs more, but he said if I dont transfer all the funds then that will be lost as well and told me to choose wisely and not be a fool. I didnt have any time and went ahead with the balance 2 lakhs transfer too under pressure. After that, the scammer said I’d been a good obedient boy and I could relax now and take it easy - did some counseling for me to help me relax a bit more and left the call saying he will be back to help with the funds I had just transferred. But then... nothing. The scammer went silent and did not call back and did not pick my calls, and that’s when it hit me—I had just been scammed. I’m feeling so dumb right now. I’ve already reported it to the real cyber police, but honestly, I’m desperate. I just want to know—what are the chances of me getting that money back? Do banks offer any protection against scams like this? And is there any legal way for me to get my money back?

TLDR: Got scammed out of my life savings - dont think there is way to recover the amount now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU By Fumbling My Gym Crush

I've never posted on Reddit before so apologies if anything is off. I (F) had a crush on a man at my gym for months. We would make extended eye contact frequently, workout in proximity, the usual gym things that get over analyzed when you like someone. He's wildly handsome, but I liked his vibe. A lot. It's hard to explain when someone's energy just hits different but his did. One day he started coming in with a woman. The day I saw her with him, he and I actually stared at each other from across the room for a while, and I turned and walked away because obviously gym rules - that's his girlfriend until I'm told otherwise. The eye contact continues and so does the proximity but I've dialed back completely because in my head, he has a girl and I am no home wrecker. Well, recently, on a Sunday, I was having a real shit day. I accidentally hurt my shoulder so my back day was all off, my body wasn't cooperating, the gym was packed - all I wanted to do w...

TIFU by getting called racist for not handing cash to a customer

today I (F18) fucked up by worked a long ahh shift and got put on register. I never hand money in people’s hands as customers have yelled at me for it, and i think it’s germy so I scoot it towards them as a sign of respect. this lady came in and after i did that she goes “Imma need you to do that again and put it in my hand, you did this last time too don’t you know it’s disrespectful” (meanwhile i haven’t worked register in 2 months at said job and didn’t recognize her) so i apologize, and then cuz it’s call off time i go talk to my boss about it and they all agree with me. apparently though she told my keyholder who’s a poc i was being RACIST by not touching her. so i got told i need to do better even though i didn’t do anything. she was insinuating i was a racist. idk if i should quit or what but i fucked up. TL;DR: i’m a dumbass

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...