- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I (f20) told my grandfather (m65) I didn’t want to withdraw money from his debit card at an ATM. Some important details you should know before going into this:
I’m currently a full time student and despite my best efforts, don’t have a job. I do Uber and DoorDash daily, earning around $200 a week. I’ve done interviews but never get a call back, even with years of past experience.
I’ve lived with my grandfather since I was 12, and he basically covers all costs including rent, food, utilities, etc. Unfortunately, he’s always had a gambling problem. Because of this, we’ve suffered and lived pay check to pay check, barely able to afford basic necessities. We’ve lived off his social security for the most part, when it’s not gambled away.
There was a time when I was 15 we couldn’t pay rent for 4 months due to his addiction (the landlord thankfully didn’t kick us out).
Around February of this year, my grandfather inherited $80k from his mother after she passed away. This only strained our relationship, as we began fighting more and more over the money. There were always these small moments he’d see reason and speak to me about his addiction, and how he wanted to stop.
He would give me money to keep safe and save, but eventually, when a fight broke out, he’d ask for it back or go play at the casino. There are times he would get violent, throwing things at me and hitting car windows when I’d shut myself inside.
Three days ago he gave me approximately $3k, which I have hidden somewhere in my room. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around him, because one wrong move could mean he goes off the rails, as he has diagnosed—but unmedicated, bipolar disorder.
Now, into today’s story:
Half an hour ago we dropped off some window screens at a repair shop, and at the moment they would only accept cash. Grandpa drove to the bank, gave me his wallet and told me to “get $90”.
I said no, because it’s his card and I don’t want anything to happen when they see my face in the camera and not his.
It was a weak excuse, because in reality I didn’t want to risk him accusing me of withdrawing money from his account, as he’s threatened me with that in the past after I refused to give him money he gave me to keep safe, because he wanted to play it.
He kept pushing me, and I couldn’t take it anymore. I simply said “I don’t want you to accuse me of anything, as you’ve said you would before.”
I can’t say how much I regret ever saying no in the first place. He exploded, claiming that I have to give him the $3k he gave me back, that if I no longer trust him he won’t trust me, that he’d never do that to me, etc. I said “You’ve done stuff to me you’ve said you’d never do” referencing to him coming at me with a broom and cussing at me.
Soon after I just put on my earphones. He kept going on and on, even though he knew I couldn’t hear him. He even hit the car wheel in anger. After his tantrum he got down, got the money, then drove in silence.
Now I’m worried he took a lot more money out in cash so he can eventually play it. Probably tomorrow when I’m at school. This sucks.
TL;DR: My grandpa blew up at me after I refused to withdraw money from his card at the ATM due to his past threats of legal action against me when I refused to give him money he gave me for his gambling addiction.
Comments
Post a Comment