Skip to main content

TIFU by calling the gas company to my house for 'a leak'

Obligatory 'this happened a few years ago' when I first moved into my new house, but I just thought about it today and realized how dumb it was.

It had been a few months in my new house, I live alone, but my parents come by every so often to help me with some house stuff, painting, gardening, that kind of thing.

One day we're working outside and suddenly I notice something odd. A clear smell of what reminds me of methane gas, or some sort of gas. I ask my parents to come over to the side of my house and see if they smell anything. They instantly notice it too.

I did recently have some plumbing work done where they had to reroute piping under the house due to roots and old pipes, so I was concerned something could have happened with a gas line.

I decide to call the gas company out, and within the hour a guy is in my yard with a gas detecting device. It's not picking anything up, but he also smells gas on one side of my house. We are walking all round it, pinpointing where it appears to be coming from. He checks my neighbor's houses- nothing.

It's odd, but he says can happen. He's considering if he has to call more people out, how to handle it, all of that, when suddenly I realize something-

Where did that weird flower on the side of my house come from?

I hadn't noticed it before. It had just been stalky growth. But it's strikingly purple and almost looks like some tropical pitcher plant. There is a huge patch of them now, but they weren't here last week. They've never been here.

I lean in and take another long whiff. YUP. That's where the smell is coming from. I wave over my parents and the gas guy. They all smell, and then we do a lot of googling.

Turns out it's an Amorphophallus (known as a Voodoo Lily), planted by the previous owners.

Apparently it blooms once a year, but only for 3-5 days. I had yet to see it bloom, or to... smell it. People say it smells like garbage, rotting meat, decay... I don't know why but I thought it smelled like gas. Or enough like gas to warrant someone looking into it.

So we all had a laugh, and I sort of felt bad for the gas company employee who had to go back and write up a report about a call that ended up with the gas leak being a flower.

My friend created a slackbot that goes off once a year that says: "Reminder: OP- it’s not a gas leak, it’s that plant." Because of that I've been able to determine that it blooms consistently almost to the week. I have grown to love the annual pop of purple pitchers and rotting meat and flies.

TL;DR: I called the gas company to investigate a gas leak at my house- turns out it was just a really weird plant blooming for the first time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFU by not disabling an option in Windows that seemingly made my PC stutter for the last 3 years

I bought a pretty good PC in 2019 (2300 € of goodness) but, a few months after I installed it, the PC started to have, at random, small freeze for like a second, every 10 to 50 min for seemingly no reason. I did tons of benchmark, pretty much read every posts about "my PC is stuttering/freezing help meee" on the internet, called the After Sale number from where I bought the PC. Removing and putting the GPU back helped for a few weeks, but then back to square one. Checked the state of my disks, the ventirad, everything ! Restarting the PC made the stuttering stop for like 1 or 2 hours that's it. I had GPU-Z and CPUID monitor on all the time to check if anything happened, and weirdly enough, having those monitoring program open made the stuttering way weaker ! Drove me absolutely crazy. Then one or two weeks ago I saw a post on r/buildapc about Fast Startup option in Windows and how it was a good idea to disable it... So I did. Since then, nothing. No stuttering, no f...

TIFU by accidentally adding the police to a private WhatsApp group for private poker nights / sports betting events.

So Poker is highly regulated here in Belgium, so is being a bookie. Yet for the past I don't know how many years I (first with some friends, now alone) have been organizing some private poker nights and have ran a private sports betting competition. This sounds like a big deal, but in reality it isn't. None of the proceeds go to me, nor is there a rake during the poker nights. Problem is: these poker nights happen in 2 pubs after hours when they are closed, both pub owners are really good mates of me. So technically the pubs might be violating the law even though people bring their own booze (some will bring a bottle of Wodka, some a crate of beer, etc ...), pub owners don't actually sell anything during those nights (technically, in practice they sometimes just serve at their cost). The buy-in is also limited to €25 euro (no rebuy), so they are basically soft home games, just taking place in a pub behind closed doors. And everyone knows each other. Most of these people...

TIFU by sh*tting in the bushes at a high school

So I’m training for a local 10k race in a couple months. That’s about 6.2 miles. Not a long race but not a short one either. I’m making good progress and tinkering with what works for me on longer runs, how I can keep my body moving at an easy, consistent pace for about 70-80 minutes. I’ve been increasing the distance over the past few months, prioritizing getting the distance down before I work on pace. I train early mornings at a local high school track within walking distance of my house. They have public hours almost every morning from 6-8 am. It’s a very nice track with good lighting and ✨no public bathrooms✨. Because I’ve been focused on increasing distance I’m waking up earlier and earlier to get to the track and really hammer it out before I go home and shower for work. In turn, I’ve been drinking a little extra COFFEE most mornings get my body going. Til now this hasn’t been a problem, I don’t leave the house until my body takes care of business. I successfully dropped the ...